Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to mount an EXT2 or EXT3 external drive on a Mac (10.8-10.10) ?

A DVR unit records TV programs on an external USB drive, providing that the drive is in EXT2 or EXT3 format. No other format is acceptable.

I'd like to view these files which are about 1GB each.

How does one mount such format on a MacBookPro in order to view the files? Tried two programs, and there was no success.

Posted on Jul 18, 2016 2:57 PM

29 replies

Jul 30, 2016 12:17 PM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood:

You are so correct re: Paragon working well. I copied the files off the drive, used the Mac instead of the external tuner to re-format the drive EXT3, and then copied back the files. Now all is fine. It plays on the tuner, as well as mounts and unmounts quickly from the Mac using the EXT system pref pane.

Also there was one small file which would not Finder copy, so deleted that.

Jul 19, 2016 8:21 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

It is listed as being El Capitan compatible which means it should be both compatible with SIP and Gatekeeper security features of El Capitan. Did you download the latest version or use an old copy previously download?

Perhaps Paragon have been a bit silly and left an old non El Capitan trial version on their site and the version you actually buy is the latest. I have seen this before by developers. Might be worth contacting them regarding that.

You could in theory temporarily turn off SIP protection but to do this for a trial should not be necessary.

Jul 19, 2016 5:18 PM in response to MacPcConsultant

Wow! Although the System Pref Pane indicated no mount and an error, the partition on a USB stick DID MOUNT and the MP4 files are visible. (OS 10.95). They can be copied to the Mac's internal drive now.

Have no idea why the preferences report the error. Will next try an external platter drive with an EXT2 partition, as the USB thumb drives produce pixelation on playback.

Why does the system pref window have to close and reopen in order to use the program?

Thank you everybody.

How to mount an EXT2 or EXT3 external drive on a Mac (10.8-10.10) ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.