Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.11.6 update has crippled my Mac Pro

Having trouble after update to 10.11.6 - System preferences panes won't open, can't seem to find any app that will open - reports of apps damaged, including disk utility, console, etc. Restart and shut down/restart don't clear it. Came looking for reports - problem seems not universal. Had successful update on my MacBook Pro, but my Mac Pro now seems in dire straits. Went the Recovery route and re-inatalled OS X . 10.11.6 was installed. Still no joy. Application folder shows only a bare few, and not the Apple applications. Cannot open any System Preferences panes. Safe Boot does not complete. Hardware OK - can boot successfully to a clone (CCC) of only a few days ago. Could do a restore (from Time Machine BU), but that is a last resort. Looking for others facing similar challenges and their success at resolving the issues.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 3.2 GHz Quad Xeon 16GB RAM, 12TB HD

Posted on Jul 18, 2016 2:58 PM

168 replies

Jan 8, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Brian Williams2

This same problems. I can't run any application. Application folder shows only a bare few, and not the Apple applications (plain icons: 2 pencils in "A" shape symbol). Cannot open any System Preferences panes. Safe Boot does not complete. No way to successfuly run combo 10.11.6 update file. Sometimes I can start this installation programm, but i get a message that I can't install this update on my disk. No dock after system start. It appears after 1 hour, but only with those plain icons and question marks. All this happened after updating Safari to the last version (as I remember at the middle of November?).

Apr 6, 2017 2:13 PM in response to Brian Williams2

ADVICE- DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.11.6!

I found this thread using my iPhone after the dreaded update because my iMac 27 OS was crippled.

I was on the phone with AppleCare for 2.5 Hours and they were unable to help resolve.

My time machine back up was a month old and I didn't want to lose anything by restoring from that.

The only way I was able to work around this nightmare was to reinstall the OS from an install flash disc.

This has been, by far, the worst OS experience in my 30 years on a Mac! It took 4 hours of work to get my system back to where is was. Do yourself a HUGE service and DO NOT UPDATE to this version. If you do, have a recent backup handy and a full 3-5 hours of free time.
And, shame on you Apple, this was truly a nightmare!

May 15, 2017 8:01 AM in response to Brian Williams2

Similar but not the exact same problems. My mac has become dangerously slow. Also I couldn't get out of sleep mode using the mouse or keyboard when it came on. There are probably other issues, and I'm sort of afraid to find them. Now I'm reading from users to not install this update. Apple might later fix this update, but frankly it kinda pi*ses me off that we as customers of an expensive computer system, are given untested updates. 😠

Jul 19, 2016 3:32 AM in response to Brian Williams2

Update: Mysterious restoration. As mentioned, I had reinstalled the OS and 10.11.6 was installed, with no apparent improvement to the issues. I had to leave my computer for several hours, and when I got back to it, most problems had disappeared – apps would launch, etc. The only lingering problem was that many dock icons had been replaced by a generic icon. Launching many of the programs seemed to resolve that, but not for all. For those that launching didn't solve the icon issue, I removed the icon from the dock, then re-introduced the app to the dock. All seems well now.

Frustrating & scary. Although I maintain 3 rotating backups, the exercise was disconcerting. I saw no information that would suggest that the update required background work to complete. Also as noted, I had initially updated my MacBook Pro (SSD) and had no problems at all. I have 3 more machines to update, and I am leery.

Jul 19, 2016 6:46 AM in response to Brian Williams2

I have the same problem on a 27 inch late 2013 i7 iMac. It seems that booting is stuck somewhere. My menubar icons do not all load, Butler mini dock doesn't load and the Finder shows very view files. I waited 30 minutes but the problem didn't correct itself. The booting doesn't finish. Restarting several times also didn't solve the problem. Although something seems going on because chip use is continuously above 20%.

I started from TechTools eDrive and saw that actual all file are there. I downloaded OS X 10.11.6 from the Apple website and placed it from the eDrive on my desktop to reinstall. But in the corrupt update the update package doesn't run. Nothing runs. No program starts. I did a volume rebuild with TechTools but that did not solve the problem. I will let 10.11.6 run over night. We'll see if it can correct itself.

10.11.6 update has crippled my Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.