Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iMac boot from an external disk?

Hi,

I have a Mid 2010 21.5" iMac that is starting to show its age with slowness. However, I do plan to upgrade the basic 4 GB of Ram to either 8 GB or 16 GB of Ram, depending on price...and my main question. I know that the Mac originally came with a 500 GB Hard Drive, and I'd also like to upgrade that to an SSD as they make a world of a difference from what I've heard, but I don't have the tech skill level to do the whole 20-30 step process. I'm wondering, as I have a 1 TB external USB SSD, if I could install a fresh version of OS X onto the USB SSD and then set that as my boot up disk and just always keep it plugged in. Would that work or does the boot up disk have to be internal instead of being exterior via USB?

Posted on Jul 19, 2016 10:49 AM

32 replies

Jul 19, 2016 10:56 AM in response to CBennett2498

Yes it can boot, however the boot speed will be slow due to the connections a 2010 iMac has. Consider taking the computer to a AASP in your area that provides these upgrades. The charge to install the SSD should be marginal and this would be dramatic improvement in performance over an external SSD.

If you don't know of any AASPs in your area, click the following link to locate one. You can then call and ask how much they charge for the service. https://locate.apple.com/country

Jul 19, 2016 11:10 AM in response to CBennett2498

CBennett2498 wrote:

Ok, so my boot time would be slow as my iMac has USB 2.0? Also, what it AASP?

Thanks!

If you use the FW800 connection it will be faster than USB 2 but it will still be slow. I recommend using an internal SSD, while you may not want to do it yourself you will find the performance of an internal SSD dramatically quicker than a FW800 connection. Therefore contact a AASP, get some info and then decide if you want to use internal SSD or not.

Jul 19, 2016 3:16 PM in response to CBennett2498

CBennett2498 wrote:

My iMac is usually always just on sleep mode when I'm not using it, so I'm not concerned about boot time. However, as I'm considering a ram upgrade, would there be a huge difference between 8 and 16 GB of ram with an external SSD? Or is that something that just needs to be solved with testing/trial and error?

The more RAM you have the less time that will be wasted going to the drive to get something, so yes it will be faster with 8GB, and still faster with 16.

Jul 19, 2016 3:16 PM in response to CBennett2498

CBennett2498 wrote:

Would a 128 GB Flash Drive work as well? I was particularly looking at this one.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/844597/PNY-Turbo-30-USB-30-Flash/

Yes, but you would likely want to go for a long walk and some breakfast while waiting for it to access information let alone booting up. In short, nice try but a very poor idea.

Jul 19, 2016 3:31 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I already have a My Passport 1 TB SSD I purchased a while back that I haven't even scratched the surface so I was just going to use that, except it's an eye sore compared to a flash drive. I would basically install OS X onto the flash drive and place my more recent and popular documents and files onto the flash drive, and keep the rest of the 500 GB internal HDD.

Can my iMac boot from an external disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.