Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reset Apple ID security questions even with valid reset link. Help?

So, I am trying to reset my security questions because I have forgotten the answers. I have followed all procedures to do so, but it will not work.

I clicked the link to reset from within my Apple ID account page, then get the message: "Reset Instructions Sent. An email with instructions has been sent to @emailaddress. Follow the directions in the email to reset your security questions." - OK

I open the email: "Dear ME, You recently made a request to reset your Apple ID security questions and answers. To complete the process, click the link below. Reset Now >" I click the link, it opens a new window with a log in screen. - OK

On the login screen, I enter my account information, email and password, into the fields and click the button to proceed. Instead of logging me in I get the pop-under message originating from the password field as follows: User uploaded file - FAIL

I try again, and again, but it never works. Every time I enter my password and try to proceed, the loading spinner spins for a bit, then I get this message "To reset your security questions, sign in to your account and start over." I never get past this page, and into an area where I am able to actually reset my security questions. I've tried with every browser, Firefox, Chrome, Safari... nothing works. I've tried 3 times now to reset via email. It will not work. What is happening? Is the site broken??

To make matters worse, I do not have an option to call for support according to the Apple support website. The only option I get is to contact my carrier. What the **** is my carrier going to do to fix my Apple ID? It's very frustrating to say the least. Someone please help!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jul 20, 2016 8:32 PM

16 replies

Oct 18, 2017 1:35 PM in response to gail from maine

Gail, that doesn't always work...

I'm sitting in a situation where I have to wait 8 hours before trying again. I gave literally every possible answer to those questions on the phone with support, even escalated to "senior adviser" and they couldn't help me. I made these security questions back when I got my first iPhone, a 3G... With the service I've had this will be my last.

Jul 20, 2016 9:48 PM in response to gail from maine

That's great. Well then what is the process on the website of clicking the links and sending out an email to your rescue email and then clicking the link to reset made for then? A joke? There is a loop happening where it will not proceed past the screen on the actual link sent by Apple in the email.

I can log in to my account just fine as I know my password. It works fine. The thing that doesn't work is anything pertaining to answering security questions, for which I have followed the procedures only to come to a loop. So, maybe re-read my initial post to see what's actually happening. Even if I am logged in, with the generated recovery link from Apple, it does nothing except leave me at a log in screen from which I can't get in, even with my working user/pass.

Thanks for the link to the generic contact support page though, which does nothing but send me back to Apple ID.

Jul 20, 2016 10:39 PM in response to eberlysurfboards

The reset email link is if you forget your Password and can answer your Security Questions. It is not for resetting Security Questions that you have forgotten:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Sorry, but to reset Security Questions, you have to know the answers in order to do that. I did read your post. Sorry if you are frustrated, but it would make no sense to allow someone who cannot answer the Security Questions to reset them. What kind of Security would that be.

Contact Apple Support as instructed.

And what do you mean it "sends you back to Apple ID"? It is a Support Link. Follow the prompts and set up a call with support. This is not difficult if you take the time to follow the prompts.

GB

Aug 11, 2016 9:57 AM in response to gail from maine

I don't get it, the OP's question is about If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support link, so, he is clearly referring to what is shown on it; that is, the link that reads (and which is also shown in the screenshot) reset your security questions. This is hilarious (kinda, but not really), even the email support you get by email (I would contact someone over phone, but I don't really have that option here where I live; I guess Apple just doesn't want/need my filthy—third world—money) it's unable to properly respond to this kind of inquiries, they don't even seem to read carefully what you write them (oh common, its not like I whrite that terribl' hat).

In any case, though, I'll try to play the good guy here and help the OP while drinking a cold beer. What you need to do OP, is contac... just kidding, I don't drink beer... anyway, you probably need to check the remember me box each time you fill the credentials for logging in (and probably also don't try it under incognito/private browsing, and don't have cookies disabled in your browser), that's it (or at least that was it in my case), that way you will prevent Apple's site from suffering Alzheimer's and not being able to remember you just logged in before allowing you to reset your security questions.

Aug 20, 2016 5:39 AM in response to eberlysurfboards

From mid august 2016 there is a new simple way of changing apple id security questions without rescue email and if you forgot security questions – new method which does not require contacting Apple Care.

1.Go to iforgot.apple.com

2. Enter your Apple ID, then select Continue.

3. Choose the option to reset your security questions, then select Continue.

4. Enter your Apple ID password, then select Continue.

5. Follow the onscreen steps to verify your identity. If you don't get any options to verify your identity, you can't reset your security questions at this time.

6. Choose new security questions and answers and select Continue.

I have found detailed guaidance with screeshots in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8-RWYT1Yo

Can't reset Apple ID security questions even with valid reset link. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.