Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do songs downloaded from Icloud get saved at a higher bit rate/more gb used

Recently recovered my entire library from Icloud and the files take up more storage than when the library was originally saved on my hard drive? Is that possible? No duplicate files. I went from having 6200 songs using 32.5 gb to now having the exact same library take 55.5 gb? So are songs saved on Icloud saved at a better quality? My library is a combination of cds burned and purchased from ITunes.

Posted on Jul 21, 2016 8:35 AM

14 replies

Jun 13, 2017 6:59 PM in response to Phil0124

Seems that link doesn't exist anymore. 😟 And possibly the current iTunes doesn't allow this anymore. But I have iTunes Match and iTunes in the iCloud, but I cannot seem to get a higher bit rate downloaded. I can "remove download" for a 128kbps rip, then download it, but it comes back as 128kbps, not 256. Anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Jun 14, 2017 3:30 AM in response to bsuwolf

Really old purchases from the iTunes Store would have been in 128kbps AAC format but now they are all in 256kbps AAC format. Therefore when you re-downloaded them it is possible it replaced older 128kbps versions with newer 256kbps versions which would take twice as much space roughly.

Similarly if you subscribe to the iTunes Match service and had some lower quality e.g. 128kbps MP3 or AAC tracks acquired from other sources e.g. CDs these also would be replaced by 256kbps AAC tracks and again might take more space.

Jun 14, 2017 10:19 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the way-back link. Some more interesting info on this. So far I've been discussing the home iMac, the machine that originally sourced the iCloud library. Consider a Jethro Tull CD of mine, ripped at 128kbps, that I want to replace with 256 but w/o re-ripping. I've been unable to do that. Everything I do that lets me re-download gives me back a 128 bit song file. According to Apple, this is a matched file, not an uploaded file.

Now, go to my work computer, logged into the same Apple ID. I can see my cloud library, all the songs, all the playlists, etc. Everything has a cloud icon next to it. So I download one of those Tull songs and voila, I get a 256 bit file.

This all seems very strange to me. There also seems to be no way to remove the song file from my iMac library w/o also removing the song from iCloud.

I have way too much stuff at 128 bit to re-rip all that stuff if I can just download the 256 file with relative ease. Most of my listening any more is Spotify, so physically re-ripping is also not worth the effort.

Thanks for any insight.

Jun 14, 2017 12:06 PM in response to bjurasz

You should be able to select one or more tracks, right-click, then remove download. After the download is removed the cloud download symbol will show, allowing the upgraded matched copy to be downloaded. Personally I'd make sure I had originals of everything backed up elsewhere first just in case of any clean/explicit/live/studio mix ups.

tt2

Jun 14, 2017 12:28 PM in response to turingtest2

I agree, that should work. But doesn't for me. If I remove the download and then click the cloud icon I get a 128 bit file back again. Unless iTunes is giving me incorrect information about the file, that is what is happening. I've even gone as far as to make sure the file is actually gone before I download from the cloud. Very frustrating.

Now, this works on my work MacBook Pro, which only gets song files from the cloud. There I'm getting 256 bit files. Worst case I download everything I want onto the MacBook, create a tar file, copy it to the iMac, and then untar it on top of my music library. And yes, I have the Music library backed up on Time Machine and CrashPlan both.

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2016 8:47 AM in response to bsuwolf

Depends on how you were saving them in iCloud.

If you were using Apple Music or iTunes Match, then yes all Matched songs are upgraded to 256kbps which means their file size will be a bit bigger for the higher audio quality they deliver.

iCloud Music Library: Understanding differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match - Apple Support

Jul 21, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 - Thanks, that sheds some light on the issue - I do use ITunes Match; but now that leads me to the real issue..prior to this restore, all my music only used up 32gb of my 64 gb Ipod Touch. Now the same exact # of songs takes up almost the whole Ipod. Is there anyway to downgrade the files to a lesser quality 192kbps? I am desperate to find a reasonable solution to this issue. Thanks!

Jul 21, 2016 9:06 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2 - Here is the full story. I was switching from an old Ipod Touch to a new Ipod Touch. There were some issues installing and syncing the new Ipod. After "successfully" syncing my Ipod, I notice large batches of songs were missing (some were from cds I burned and others from ITunes purchases). Contacted Apple Support and they had me restore my library from a prior back-up (apparently the restore was from the Icloud). Upon restoring, I had duplicates of all my songs. One version of the song had the normal "cloud" symbol next to it and the duplicate had a "x"d out cloud symbol next to it. I deleted all the duplicates with the x cloud and downloaded all the songs with the normal cloud next to them. Its at this point I noticed that my 6200 songs that took up 32gb previously on my old Ipod, now took up 55gb on my new Ipod and hard drive. This leaves me with a new Ipod Touch that is basically full but should only really be half filled.

Please help me find a way to downgrade these files on my hard drive and Ipod to a smaller bit rate. I am open to all suggestions!!

Jul 21, 2016 9:36 AM in response to bsuwolf

The automatic downsample feature build into iTunes should give you the best of both worlds, high quality copies on your computer, smaller copies on the device so they don't take up too much room, and it should all work automatically.

Now that you've deduped your library that is probably the best way to proceed. Had we been talking earlier then the steps in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash might have restored your library without any need for deduping and downloading. There might still be content in your media folder such as Podcasts or Audiobooks that are excluded from iTunes Match that may need adding back into the library.

From the sounds of things it is too late to go back as you will have deleted the older lower bit rate versions from the media folder. For the future I would recommend you maintain your own local backup in addition to iTunes Match as it doesn't cover everything, and may occasionally return the wrong clean/explicit or live/studio version of a track.

tt2

Do songs downloaded from Icloud get saved at a higher bit rate/more gb used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.