Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 24" Early 2009. 4GB RAM to 16GB upgrade?

Hi

I have an iMac and when I looked at the apple specs, it says I can use each of the 4slots with a 4GB DDR3 1333 204pin RAM, but I am wondering could I use 8GB for each slot instead of 4GB? Many eCommerce sites are selling the 8GB now and was wondering if anyone here has tried it and if it would work with iMAC 3.06 GHZ Intel Core i3?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 22, 2016 12:27 AM

12 replies

Jul 22, 2016 3:34 AM in response to iamfromvenus

An early 2009 24" iMac is only capable of using 8Gb of ram.

IF you have a mid 2010 Core i3 iMac it can use up to 16Gb of ram. Only the i5 and i7 iMacs can use more than 16Gb.

When upgrading ram I suggest using a quality vendor such as OWC https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2010/DDR3_21.5_27

Or Crucial http://www.crucial.com/ and avoiding other bargain basement brands.

Jul 22, 2016 4:15 AM in response to iamfromvenus

The processor can't recognize more than 16 Gb of Ram, therefore you would be wasting your money by installing 4x8GB sticks of Ram. However, you could install 4X4GB of ram sticks to truly maximize the performance of the Mac. Personally, I have the same iMac and I recently installed 2 more 2 GB sticks for a total of 8 GB of Ram...and for internet, office, photoshop and emails, it works exactly as I need it to and I believe if I were to have 16 GB installed, there wouldn't be much of a difference.

Jul 23, 2016 3:29 AM in response to iamfromvenus

Over the years I have bought a lot of RAM for quite lot of Macs (hundreds, approaching a thousand). Crucial and Apple are the only brands that I have found work every time.

I've never used OWC as a supplier but people I trust have and they tell me they are as good as Crucial.

Buying cheap memory is like buying cheap brakes and tires on a car. Everything seems okay for a while until...

If you want to save money, upgrade to 8GB first and see how you go. 8GB is enough for most people unless you are running virtual instances of Windows, etc.

C.

Jul 24, 2016 3:46 AM in response to iamfromvenus

Macs require exact spec ram. Those "other brands" play fast and loose with the specs and consider close to be good enough. PC's can use ram that is close but not exact, Macs cannot. If you want to buy another brand go ahead, just remember that the sweetness of low price can soon be replaced by the bitterness of kernel panics and possible data loss or corruption.

Jul 24, 2016 1:34 PM in response to iamfromvenus

I upgraded Ram in many Macs over the years. Now although I don't stick with just OWC and other tops brands because there happened to be less expensive ram from other brands, but I wasn't dumb with my decision either. Obviously if I had never heard of the brand, or if they have low ratings of unreliability, then I'm not going to purchase it. However, there are other respectable brands that many users have success and reliability with.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/45556-30-ranking-best-brands

(This link here provides information on the best ram brands after many experiences. My most useful information from this post came from the third reply by 10GHZ and a reply made on November 5th by pcdinesh)

iMac 24" Early 2009. 4GB RAM to 16GB upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.