Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove files in recovery mode to finish installing the new OS?

So I tried installing the new OS but unfortunately I was not paying attention and my battery died in the middle of it. I cannot boot up my macbook air at all, I go into recovery mode to try to install it from there but since it did not finish installing from the first time, it took up some space on my hard drive and I apparently need an additional 1.8 GB more to actually finish up installing the new OS. So I'm stuck in recovery mode and trying to figure out how to remove some files that I do not need on my hard drive, can someone please show me how? I tried figuring it out in terminal but I really am not familiar with the syntax used and can't seem to change my working directory....

I've searched all over the web but have not found my answer, I do not have a backup of my mac (I know, very smart of me) so I really do not want to wipe it clean... Please, someone help. I'm desperate!!!

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Jul 22, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2016 10:33 AM

if you have another mac you can target mode the laptop and manually remove files without the Terminal.

Share files between two computers with target disk mode - Apple Support

conversely you can connect an external drive to the MBA and install the OS to the external.

1 reply

How to remove files in recovery mode to finish installing the new OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.