Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitles not streaming to Apple TV when using airplay

So when I watch videos/movies online with subtitles on my iPad, everything is fine. But as soon as I use the airplay feature, the video and audio go on my television screen perfectly, but the subtitles do not show on the screen like how they normally do on my iPad. Does anyone know the solution to this? I've turned on subtitles by going to settings > General > Accessibility but that didn't do anything. I also held select down but the message i received was "subtitles are not available for this content". Why am I able to see the subtitles when watching the iPad normally but not when using airplay?

Posted on Jul 22, 2016 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 2:05 PM

Hi,

I don't think you can fix this. When you AirPlay, the video stream identifier is sent to ATV, which connects and plays it. But that stream is just the movie. When you view it in the browser, the CC are being merged into the video by the server. Without a browser on ATV, there's no way to request the CC. Sorry.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2016 2:05 PM in response to danielM12

Hi,

I don't think you can fix this. When you AirPlay, the video stream identifier is sent to ATV, which connects and plays it. But that stream is just the movie. When you view it in the browser, the CC are being merged into the video by the server. Without a browser on ATV, there's no way to request the CC. Sorry.

May 25, 2017 2:57 PM in response to danielM12

HI! Old Q I know but the subs are called up on the Apple tv, not the iPad / iPhone. The answer fan be found in the Apple KB. Hold the silver Button down a second or two. Or tap the corresponding area on the new remote.

the ATV does not simply mirror the iOS Units screen when a movie is watched. The server is asked to stream directly to the ATV. So the ATV has to ask for subs. Unfortunately i have not been able to set a preference. Also. Less scrupolous sites for streaming does not have their streaming server set up correctly. 😉

Subtitles not streaming to Apple TV when using airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.