Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPhone-to-iPad Phone Call Cellular Continuity use data

A lot of times I drive to work using my iPad Mini 4 WiFi+Cellular driving to work to play music from various apps via bluetooth to my car audio system.

Whenever my phone rings, my iPad does also since T-Mobile (my carrier for iPhone & iPad) allows cellular continuity. My question is, if I were to answer the call on my iPad will I be charged data or does the call still only count against cellular minutes? So, basically does the iPad use VoIP (data) or VoLTE (voice/calling minutes) to handle the call? Thanks for any help!

iPad Mini, iOS 9.3.3, iPad Mini 4 WiFi + Cellular

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2016 5:10 PM

Update - Spoke with my contact at T-Mobile who is a senior technical/engineering advisor. He said that currently phone calls on iPad via cellular handoff/continuity work over Facetime Audio which is essentially a VoIP service and does use cellular data.

However, T-Mobile is looking into ways to eliminate data usage for its customers on Facetime Audio (and possibly even Facetime Video as well) through their Music Freedom and Binge On programs. If that happens, that would be amazing!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2016 5:10 PM in response to HockeyCoachBen

Update - Spoke with my contact at T-Mobile who is a senior technical/engineering advisor. He said that currently phone calls on iPad via cellular handoff/continuity work over Facetime Audio which is essentially a VoIP service and does use cellular data.

However, T-Mobile is looking into ways to eliminate data usage for its customers on Facetime Audio (and possibly even Facetime Video as well) through their Music Freedom and Binge On programs. If that happens, that would be amazing!

Does iPhone-to-iPad Phone Call Cellular Continuity use data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.