Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My LED cinema Display is extremely Dim.

I had recieved a LED Cinema Display and it was working fine for a few months before it just suddenly became extremely dim. I had not dropped or banged it against anything either. It just died, there and then. I set out scouring the Internet to try and find a solution but I just ended up with a long list of reasons, all of them needing me to open the screen up and play around with the insides. I didnt do that, as I would probably break it, and also because the large amount of suggestions I did not know we're to start. Anyways, I tried playing around with the brightness instead of ripping it apart and then it just went black. The power cord that I have connected to my MacBook Pro is still lit up and it is charging but the display will just not brighten.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 15-inch, mid 2009

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 3:25 AM

2 replies

Jul 23, 2016 4:34 PM in response to fasciob

Shine a torch into the front of the display - can you see the OS at all when it is connected to the MBP?

If the display will not light up correctly it seems likely that the backlight or the power supply to the backlight has failed. I'd suggest you find a local Apple store or Apple authorised service centre to look at it for you.

Backlights & power supplies can normally be replaced if that is the issue, there are guides on the internet but you really need to be competent with electronics as the display can contain voltages that can be fatal. You also need to be methodical to diagnose which part is causing the problem.

Frankly if the display is old you can probably buy a new third party display for less than it costs to repair older models once labor is taken into account, obviously if it is in warranty or covered by Apple care take it to them (or contact Apple support).

Post the model info if you need more help.

My LED cinema Display is extremely Dim.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.