Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPods and Apple MUSIC

How can I sync Apple Music songs to my 2nd gen iPod shuffle? An error message pops up to turn on iCloud Music Library from my iPod (which clearly can't be done). Is it time to retire my shuffle, nano and 2nd gen Touch or do rebuild my iTunes library with my old CD's and reconsider my MUSIC subscription?

Please no..

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jul 23, 2016 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 7:33 AM

This is ACTUALLY not the case anymore. Here are instructions to sync your iPod 5g or higher with your Apple Music library in iTunes:

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device. If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2017 7:33 AM in response to gail from maine

This is ACTUALLY not the case anymore. Here are instructions to sync your iPod 5g or higher with your Apple Music library in iTunes:

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device. If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.

Jul 31, 2017 8:29 AM in response to KellyFly

I believe you are talking about an iPod Touch 5th Gen? If so, I did say that an iPod Touch would be required (as opposed to "pre-iOS" iPod models.

And, yes, an iOS device must be running iOS 9 or above in order to use Apple Music and the iPod Touch 4th Gen can only run 6.1.6., so the first one in the running would have been the 5th Gen.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 1, 2016 2:44 PM in response to 🐜🐜🐜__

You cannot sync Apple Music to any device. Apple Music is a streaming service, which allows you to save music that you have streamed to the device to a playlist that you have offline access to, but without Wifi, you cannot stream.

You also, as you have found, would need iCloud Music Library, which, again, requires Wifi.

So, sorry, but you would need an iPod Touch to use Apple Music.

Best of luck,

GB

Aug 1, 2016 2:49 AM in response to 🐜🐜🐜__

You're going to have to choose. Apple Music doesn't work with any iPod classic, mini, nano, or shuffle, and Apple appears disinclined to ever update those products apart from (in the case of the latter two) the occasional new color options. You can drop Apple Music, or you can drop your "vintage" iPod.

I chose my iPods shuffle (3rd generation) and nano (6th). I tried a shuffle (4th), but after trying two different units, I believe either the shuffle (4th) has a software/firmware flaw which makes it forget it ever played songs or iTunes has a bug in which it can't integrate that information and update play counts and playlists. Too bad; the battery life on my shuffle (3rd) is amorphous.

Old iPods and Apple MUSIC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.