Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode Requirement, must change within 60 mins

Hi, I got a pop up message from my iPhone 6 Plus, asking me to change my passcode within 60 min, this is a legitimate message from Apple or it is a virus or malware?

i Ignored the message at the moment, kindly afvise. Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Jul 24, 2016 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Hello sochun2424,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are getting a pop up message asking to change your iPhone's passcode within 60 minutes. I know how important it is to make sure that the messages you receive are legitimate. I'll be more than happy to assist you with this.

If this iPhone is used for a business or work, you may have Mobile Device Management installed on the iPhone. If there is a profile installed, it could have passcode enforcement that requires the passcode to be changed after a specific time. This can also happen if there is an Exchange ActiveSync account (e.g. Hotmail, Outlook, Windows Live, Gmail configured as Exchange) that has a passcode enforcement.

If one of these are in use, please contact whomever supports that MDM implementation (i.e. IT Department) for further assistance.

Additionally, more information can be found on the following website:

iPhone in Business

Best Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2016 8:51 AM in response to sochun2424

Hello sochun2424,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are getting a pop up message asking to change your iPhone's passcode within 60 minutes. I know how important it is to make sure that the messages you receive are legitimate. I'll be more than happy to assist you with this.

If this iPhone is used for a business or work, you may have Mobile Device Management installed on the iPhone. If there is a profile installed, it could have passcode enforcement that requires the passcode to be changed after a specific time. This can also happen if there is an Exchange ActiveSync account (e.g. Hotmail, Outlook, Windows Live, Gmail configured as Exchange) that has a passcode enforcement.

If one of these are in use, please contact whomever supports that MDM implementation (i.e. IT Department) for further assistance.

Additionally, more information can be found on the following website:

iPhone in Business

Best Regards.

May 20, 2017 10:16 AM in response to sochun2424

It is emanating from cell tower. It is likely a MDM (Mobile Device Management - an enterprise solution) trying to manage phones from cell towers. The first type of prompt is <Later> or <Continue>. After powering off (without clicking first prompt) and powering on phone a new prompt with only one option appears <Continue>. Neither message allows navigating away from the prompt without clicking an option. When this happens power off phone, remove SIM card, power on phone, clear browsing history (may not be required), power off phone, reinsert SIM card, and then power on phone. This is required when it prevents navigating away from the prompt message. All the aforementioned explanations in articles and technical support forums did not hold true because after removing the SIM card and still having WiFi connection this activity would have persisted but did not. Remember surveillance programs wanting backdoors to bypass passcodes? What better way then to ask the owner to give the passcode up since most people do not change these often or at all. Now the cell towers can support remote MDM of phone with ubiquity. Note: according to other articles and technical forums Verizon assumes Apple servers are pushing it and Apple has no idea about this, one plus one equals two. And a feature ("undocumented feature") in the hacking community is a vulnerability to an exploit.

Jul 25, 2016 12:12 PM in response to sochun2424

I experienced this dialog as well and contacted Apple Support.

Apparently this is an undocumented feature of iOS 9.3.3. Supposedly if you have a 4 digit passcode, you will be required to create a 6 digit passcode.

I ignored the dialog until I was able to select "Later".

Johann.B is correct that the documented case for this feature is via MDM or Exchange Active Sync.

Passcode Requirement, must change within 60 mins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.