Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant change Apple id "Email already in use"

Ok, so I wanted to change my apple id email. I used a hotmail to sign up and I don't use that address for anything anymore.

I entered my gmail address and it said its already in use. I didn't remember using my gmail to set up an account so I reset the password and logged in. I changed the email to something else that i use for work so that my personal gmail would be free.

I then logged back into my original apple account to try and change the email yet it still says it's in use. I waited 3 days just to be sure and tried again today and it still says that my gmail is still in use on another account.

If I try to log into apple or to reset the password with my personal gmail it tells me there is no account associated with the email.

I'm a little confused now since it's telling me I cant use the gmail because it's already in use but then it says there is no account connected to it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 24, 2016 5:09 PM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2016 10:46 PM in response to superneglit

If you have that email address listed as a Rescue email address on your existing or any other Apple account, you will get that error. Sign in to any Apple accounts that you have and check to make sure that the address in question is not being used as a rescue email address. Also, if you have a spouse or children that may be using that address as their Rescue email address, you would have the same issue.

Cheers,

GB

Jul 25, 2016 5:31 PM in response to gail from maine

I set up a rescue email but not with my gmail. I used my @me.com email when they were still a thing.

When I try to sign in or reset password with my gmail I get the alert that there is no account for the gmail.

Then when I log into my account and try to change the id email to gmail I get the alert that it is already in use.

I think I'll just try and contact support. I thought I'd ask here first incase there was something obvious that I was missing in the process of trying to change the email.

Thanks for your replies.

Jul 25, 2016 6:57 PM in response to superneglit

And just so you know, there is no way that you could have used an @me.com email address for a Rescue email address. @me, @mac, and @icloud.com addresses are all Apple ID addresses. They cannot be changed and they cannot be used for anything else, since they are permanently in use as an Apple ID.

So, not sure what email you used for your Rescue email address, but it wasn't an @me.com address.

Cheers,

GB

Cant change Apple id "Email already in use"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.