Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a thumb drive on an iPad Pro?

im looking to get a 12.9 iPad pro with 128 gig memory. Also getting the keyboard and usb loghning adapter. My question is this: can I use a thumb drive with this to transfer files around?

FOr example: I start a word document on a desktop, save to thumb drive and then want to continue working on it with the iPad Pro. Can I transfer the file to the iPad to edit, resave said file, and then go back to the desktop with it?

Could I also transfer other files around with this set up?

i need mobility and stationary solutions and was looking to use this for small, on the go stuff, then an iMac for the intensive stuff.

Would my idea work out? Thank you for your time and help.

Posted on Jul 25, 2016 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 12:49 PM

This does not solve the problem that the iPad cannot accept files from colleagues that are already on a flash drive. This happens often that when I arrive in a meeting, my colleagues will give me a flash drive with files needed for the discussion, but I have no way of viewing these files. This greatly limits an iPad-pro as a laptop replacement as it cannot freely exchange files using one of the most common means of exchanging files between computers. Apple needs to fix this problem.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2017 12:49 PM in response to MichelPM

This does not solve the problem that the iPad cannot accept files from colleagues that are already on a flash drive. This happens often that when I arrive in a meeting, my colleagues will give me a flash drive with files needed for the discussion, but I have no way of viewing these files. This greatly limits an iPad-pro as a laptop replacement as it cannot freely exchange files using one of the most common means of exchanging files between computers. Apple needs to fix this problem.

Mar 2, 2017 1:03 PM in response to 130lbsrock

Far more often, when I am at meetings, my colleagues will simply point me to their company sharpoint site, or corporate dropbox site or some cloud based resource. I hardly ever see people still carrying around, let alone actually using, thumbdrives.

You can always submit feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ but given Apple's explicit design to severely limit iOS app interactions with the core file system and physical external devices, as well as their large investment in iCloud services, I would not hold my breath waiting for USB drive connections to come to iOS devices.

Jun 16, 2017 3:46 AM in response to Stirplay

No iDevice has ever had Bluetooth transfer of data and Apple has had iDevices, now, for 17 years and generations of mobile devices.

So, If you're holding out purchasing any iDevice or iPad because of the missing Bluetooth data transfer feature, then your are never going to purchase an iPhone or iPad.

Apple looks at Bluetooth as a security risk for such a feature/activity.

So, that is why, in 17 years, Apple iDevices have never had Bluetooth file/data transfer/sharing.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this feature, just like Apple not implementing support for Bluetooth mice or trackpads.

Not going to happen anytime soon!

Jun 16, 2017 10:06 AM in response to MichelPM

There are situations where having BT as a means of exchanging files between 2 devices that aren't on any network is the only way to get things accomplished. I encounter cases like these very often, particularly in rural areas. It's worth noting that my 9.7 Pro is Wi-Fi only.

Interestingly, that feat could easily be accomplished by most Android phones and even by the now defunct Windows phone. I've used this file transfer system for more than 5 or 6 years and never had a security issue. I really can't understand why iDevice engineers refuse to implement these technologies given the fact that iPads don't even offer USB thumb drives or SSD slots. The latest iOS 11 suffers from the same limitations.

Jun 23, 2017 10:36 AM in response to apeybloom

As I have previously stated.

Portable wireless, WiFi hard drives and special mobile flash drives have a built-in WiFi hotspot that can be detected and used by your iDevice.

You don't need to have Wifi in your home or locate public Wifi to use these portable wireless drives!

The Wifi data signal is bulit into the external storage device

Jun 23, 2017 1:33 PM in response to apeybloom

apeybloom wrote:

hello, not everyone has wifi. read the question again.

Did you even read the original question in this thread? The one I responded to? The one that makes no mention of wifi at all? Nor did the second poster I responded to make any mention of wifi at all. Seems it is you who isn’t paying attention to who asked or posted what and whom responded to which post.

Jun 23, 2017 1:48 PM in response to Jweeks123

I don't think you would be able to create a file on the desktop and use that same file on an iPad. The iOS and OS files are different and made to be this way hence the reason for iCloud.

The thumb drive would work if you were trying to use it for extra space for the iPad.

Can I transfer the file to the iPad to edit, resave said file, and then go back to the desktop with it?

I have to ask what the purpose of doing all that would be?

It sounds like you are getting an iPad and trying to make it a computer (spending extra money on extra storage, a keyboard, and usb connector) just to be able to move files around from a desktop to an iPad sounds like a lot of money wasted IMHO. I have experience with this since I move a lot of files around from my Macbook Air, my iMac and external drives. This is easily done with AirDrop and/or being connected to the same network and using file sharing of course. With the iPad and the flash drive it will be much harder to share the files across devices as Apple likes you to use their method of doing simple tasks as the one you are trying to accomplish.

The 12.9 iPad Pro 128GB currently sells for $848 that is still in laptop range and is really the route you should go. You would still get the same storage space, keyboard, trackpad with USB for the same exact price. iPad is still not there in terms of file sharing across devices.

My brother in law intends to use is iPad Pro as a laptop and he hasn't used a computer in years. He prefers it this way and the only reason why I say he can do this easily is because he doesn't have a computer. Only people that claim to really benefit from using the iPad as a computer are people that don't have a computer as their main rig. My Mother for another example also has an iPad Pro as her main computing device and loves it. Both examples do not create and move files, so keep that in mind.

Jun 23, 2017 2:53 PM in response to ishadoe

Do YOU know what you are talking about?

You certainly CAN create files on compatible programs on a Mac or PC and transfer that same compatible file on an iPad and vice versa.

Yes Wifi transfer is easier and faster, but can be done with most mobile drives and mobile flash drives.

You certainly can do with Apple's iWork apps on both iOS and Mac OS.

Other programs can do this such as other document or PDF creation apps on either iOS/PC/Mac.

Same with image/video editing.

I use both iMovie on iOS and Mac OS and can transfer data between the two NOT using Airdrop or iCloud for any of this, BTW! ( actually, for some tasks, I use DropBox OR there are specific data transfer apps that work across iOS, Mac OS or Windows)

I use Affinity Photo and Pixelmator and can, fairly easily without AirDrop, use files from created in iOS and continue to work on these either in Photoshop, Affinity Photo OR Pixelmator on my Mac and, again, vice versa.

Same with another painting program I use called ArtRage.

Can go back and forth ( I use either DropBox or another data sharing app called Instashare, because my older iMac does not have AirDrop capability) to swap drawing files between ArtRage for iOS OR Mac OS.

PDFs in iOS can easily be transferred to a Mac or PC to view either in Preview or another PDF app on Mac OS or Windows.

I can easily transfer photos/images back and forth from my Mac without iCloud or AirDrop.

There are other iOS Apps that make the doing pretty easy and painless.

Other examples AutoDesk SketchBook on iOS/Mac OS

MediBang Paint for iOS/Mac OS/Windows

Notability for both iOS/Mac OS ( Not sure if this has a Windows version or not)

So, you argument doesn't hold up all that well!

I have both an large iPad Pro and late 2009, 27 inch iMac!

I even have apps that pair with my iPad and my iMac, so I don't even have to work, directly at my iMac, if I don't want to at that momemt!

I think you get my point.

Still need Wifi to do much of this without relying on mobile storage drives, though.

But still very possible to do with mobile wireless hard drives/flash drives.

You don't need iCloud or AirDrop to transfer files back and forth from iPad to computer and vice versa.

That is just one method to get data back and forth from mobile device to a more powerful computer.

Jun 30, 2017 12:17 PM in response to Jweeks123

I'm going to Haiti where internet access is highly problematic. It would be more than awesome if I could use a thumbdrive with the iPad. Also, sometimes in Haiti you can get a USB stick to work when all else fails. Without a port, or supported adapter, iPad Pro is not as useful as it could be outside of the 1st World. Is there a good solution?

Jun 30, 2017 3:02 PM in response to cynthiafromlongmont

Did you read my earlier post replies.

Special Wifi hard drives and flash drives are needed to use with mobile devices.

These style drives DO NOT NEEDany type of local WiFi network access!

These drives transmit their own independent WiFi signals from these drives that you can easily connect to with your iPad using an app from the developer, downloaded from the iOS App Store.

I repeat, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEEK OUT WIFI NETWORK AREAS!!!

These drives transmit their own dedicated WiFi signals that any iPad or iDevice can connect to!

See all of my previous reply posts, please!

I am tired of repeating myself on this subject!

Jun 30, 2017 3:41 PM in response to MichelPM

The issues she may be facing abroad are related to using her iPad outside of Apple's ecosystem. For example, if she receives a plain old thumb drive from another person, she would have a hard time transferring data to her iPad. It could be done but it's expensive as it requires extra hardware. Wouldn't be nice if iPad implemented some form of USB on the go technology? I can certainly use such feature.

Jun 30, 2017 7:46 PM in response to MichelPM

Yes, MichelPM, I've been reading your answers. They are unacceptable for the conditions I'm going into - running around the Third would with extra gizmos is just ridiculous. I'll be bringing documents on my iPad, or heavy laptop, and I need to receive them. Without WiFi, and ideally without purchasing and lugging yet another device. Getting electricity is hard enough...

Nov 11, 2017 5:01 AM in response to Jweeks123

The answer is Yes and No! First you have to purchase the connector that Apple sells to connect the USB drive to the iPad device. That is the Yes part. The problem you are then faced with is finding a USB drive that will not give you the dreaded “this drive requires too much power” message. From a google search I just did there are some on sale that claim to be compatible with IOS. I have not tried one of them. However I tried it on 15 different ones that I have collected over the years and everyone gave me the not enough power message.

Can I use a thumb drive on an iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.