Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes 12.4.2.4 TONES folder missing

I updated to ITunes 12.4.2.4 and updated the phone's (6) software. Then, most of the music synchronised across to the phone (in-between crashes). All of my ringtones (3 - made via Itunes) vanished. Can't see them on the phone in sounds and settings etc and can't see them in itunes. Managed to locate one of them that I'd saved as last time adding the file after a phone s/ware up to date was just such an absolute PITA. But, even though I can make it an ACC file, as soon as I rename it to a .4r file (which all the guides tell us to do ), Itunes gives it the exclamation mark ⚠ and says that it can't find the source file. I can make a copy of the source file...I just end up with lots of instances of the same file which won't transfer over to the "TONES" folder of the phone - there is no corresponding folder in Itunes named "TONES", there used to be in but in this latest itunes upgrade - it simply isn't there in the folder list. Any help please. I'm using ITUNES version 12.4.2.4, Windows 7 and an Iphone 6. The ringtone is a seven second tune in ACC format.

Many thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jul 25, 2016 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 4:33 AM

Have you enabled the Tones section of the library? If not click the media kind selector and then click Edit menu, tick the box against Tones, and then click done.

User uploaded file

Any tones already added to the library should show here. Valid ringtone files (AAC format, .m4r extension, <40 seconds ) added to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder should show here as well. When you connect your device select it with this icon and then select the device's Tones tab to set up the sync.

User uploaded file

tt2

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2017 4:33 AM in response to astr0b0y27

Have you enabled the Tones section of the library? If not click the media kind selector and then click Edit menu, tick the box against Tones, and then click done.

User uploaded file

Any tones already added to the library should show here. Valid ringtone files (AAC format, .m4r extension, <40 seconds ) added to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder should show here as well. When you connect your device select it with this icon and then select the device's Tones tab to set up the sync.

User uploaded file

tt2

Sep 29, 2017 3:01 AM in response to eddyfromrennes

Reply to myself. I just read that iTunes 12.7 definitively removed Tones folder 😟

So tried to follow this guide : Use tones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

section "Move ringtones from iTunes to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch".

Unfortunately, on Windows, the drag & drop seems not to work properly :

User uploaded file

Do you confirm that's a Windows bug ?

Thanks

Sep 29, 2017 5:01 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2 for your help.

I confirm that running iTunes as admin does not work, I get a "no-entry" sign.

But as a normal user, I also confirm that I can't get my device highlighted, wherever I move my mouse.

I can only get either "Music playlist", or a blank space after "Genius" or the entire left sidebar highlighted, but never my device, as shown in following screenshots :

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 15, 2017 6:30 AM in response to pam2700

Indeed, there are several major differences in this update. See Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support for details.

In particular see the Manually add items from your computer section of Manually manage content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes - Apple Support. This can be used to copy books, tones, and apps from your computer to your device.

tt2

Oct 19, 2017 4:08 PM in response to turingtest2

I Apologize and

You’re Absolutely Correct! The Reply You Received Wasn’t Supposed To Have Been Posted. Upon Finding The Article (Below) I Deleted It, Logged-Out And Was Gone ...

Anyway, I Saw Your Reply And Felt Like → 😳

• OFFICIAL

APPLE STATEMENT REGARDING THE USE OF TONES POST iOS 11.0

Use tones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Jan 26, 2017 1:29 PM in response to WER4GZS

I have been following all the other instructions, trying to get this to work for over an hour and your "dragging" suggestion is finally what worked! Thank you! I am using version 12.5.5.5 and I had to click View > Media Kind > Tones (at this point you can drag Ring Tone files directly onto this screen from your computer. Then I dragged the file from that list directly to my phone by dragging it to the left (a screen slides open with your device listed). It showed up immediately on my phone.

Apr 17, 2017 8:42 PM in response to turingtest2

I have done everything and I mean everything that I could find (deleting original file, adding proper extension, making sure that itunes tone setting was on, I mean everything. so far:

all of my previous tones are gone.

tone folder is empty.

when I try adding a valid .m4r file under 30 seconds, it never shows in Itunes. Never.

adding to <Media Folder>\Automatically Add to iTunes: not working.

dragging to tone in itunes (following all the previous steps), not working.

I managed to add one tone in my folder and cant even remember how I did it but it doesnt matter much since it will not play.

I am at a total loss.

can anyone tell me what is happening?

thanks

Oct 19, 2017 11:01 AM in response to turingtest2

(Disclaimer: just be aware I’m dictating this into my iPhone 8+ Any spelling or grammatical errors belong to Apple Inc.)

Device i

I sure wish this had a few

screenshots attached. Because in such a smally area of such a large screen for my PC Apple is jammed everything together and you have not only the drop-down select or which you mentioned but also write literally a centimeter away from it you have your iTunes library selections which are basically an addendum to which ever you’ve selected in the drop-down.

Oct 19, 2017 5:07 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2 -

Here’s something I definitely need to share with you (for me it was the difference between successfully importing my collection of tones or never using them again).

I use a Notebook/PC running Windows 10 and the most recent version of iTunes (12.7ish) and was completely stumped by something I’ve been using for more than ten years; dragging and dropping files was a total and complete failure for the first time ever ... and once again this is one of those things - I have no idea why it didn’t work ... I just know it didn’t. B

ut I digress

I was flummoxed at this point and decided

I’d had enough when I suddenly thought ‘oh what the heck - why not try copy and paste - just to rule it out as well’.

So I copied about thirty .m4r files in an attempt to paste them into my iPhone and →

HE SHOOTS - HE SCORES!!!

The next day I called a friend of mine who’d been having the same issue and told him to try copy and paste. The exact same result, drag and drop was not working but copy and paste worked like a charm.

(If you find this helpful/

useful, feel free to share it with everybody & anybody. Then, maybe you can even add it to your tone ‘how to’ the next time you update).

Take care & hope it helps others.

Best,

Jim

ITunes 12.4.2.4 TONES folder missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.