Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About The Mac Dashboard & The Dashboard App's???

on My Apple iMac Computer in The Mac Dashboard I Have some Mac Dashboard App's that I Have been using a lot

but for Some reason The ESPN Dashboard App & The Movie Theatre Dashboard is no longer working

it's Unable to get Content ???

did Apple Make those 2 Dashboard App's Stop Working????

it's been this way for a few day's now & i wanted to know what's going on???

so i just needed to check out with you guys to see what's going on???

other then that My Apple iMac Computer works Perfect 🙂

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Mid 2009 24inch Apple iMac Computer

Posted on Jul 25, 2016 10:07 PM

23 replies

Oct 3, 2017 6:27 AM in response to Drew Reece

The web clip feature is completely unreliable because ESPN changes their web content frantically. Scores, feeds, etc, are never in the same place as the were the day before, probably to break any apps or programs that try to access that info. There aren't any reliable apps for the notification center either. The only option for checking scores for any sports is to go to the websites directly, so that you are forced to watch all their ads.

Oct 4, 2017 12:02 PM in response to larsjm

larsjm wrote:

The web clip feature is completely unreliable because ESPN changes their web content frantically. Scores, feeds, etc, are never in the same place as the were the day before, probably to break any apps or programs that try to access that info. There aren't any reliable apps for the notification center either. The only option for checking scores for any sports is to go to the websites directly, so that you are forced to watch all their ads.

Sites want you to watch their adverts - they profit from it. If you don't like the sites adverts look for another site or use adblockers.

Sorry the web clip doesn't work but it really the fault of the site owner if they deliberately alter the layout, perhaps there are feeds that can be used instead or the site may have an API for reading their content.

Other options are tools like ifttt.com that has the ability to read & notify when pages or content changes (via ESPN's API).

Do more with ESPN - IFTTT

Apple don't seem interested in keeping dashboard widgets working so look around for alternatives.

Jul 26, 2016 7:57 AM in response to seventy one

The ESPN widget is installed with the OS - it is Apples responsibility to keep it functioning as far as I can see.

Widgets are just a bunch of javascript & html, look at this file…

"/Library/Widgets/ESPN.wdgt/parser.js"

Part of that file lists what appears to be the URL's for retrieving the online data…

gLeagueArray ['RPM'] = {

staticEnable: false,

title: "Auto Racing",

kind: 'racing',

feed: 'http://wu.apple.com/rpm/bottomline/xml/race',

url: 'http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/index',

background: 'racing.png',

scoreParser: scoreParser_racing

};

The feed URL is broken - the widget cannot get the info because the website changed. You can either work out where the feed should be & correct it (make a copy of the widget first) or report it as a bug to Apple & hope they fix it.

http://feedback.apple.com/

I don't know about the Movie theatres widget - it never accepts my location, so I just get US movies that may be accurate, I don't care enough to test & can't see the feed URL in "/Library/Widgets/Movies.wdgt/parser.js"

Frankly I think you would be better off finding the relevant page with the info you wish to follow & then using the 'open in dashboard' feature of Safari to make your own widget. Be sure to customise the Safari Toolbar to add the 'Web Clip' (open in dashboard) button.

It's not clear if web clips are still a feature - I'm not on 10.11.

Jul 26, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Drew Reece

While Apple maintains the Widget, ESPN clearly maintained the source of the feed for it.

It appears that source has been deactivated as the URL just directs you to an error page at Disney.com, that feed source is no longer available.

But good luck trying to get Disney to reinstate that feed.

Beyond that, I doubt there's anything to be done other than using something like a Notification Center Widget. There doesn't appear to be an ESPN widget for the Notification center, but there is one from Yahoo! Sports.

Jul 26, 2016 8:23 AM in response to seventy one

I don't have a default 10.11 install in front of me to check. I guess the widgets could be migrated from earlier OS's. I'm fairly certain this 10.9 install was not migrated, so it came with the OS, this command confirms it too… (unless I am an idiot).

[~]$ pkgutil --file-info /Library/Widgets/Movies.wdgt/

volume: /

path: /Library/Widgets/Movies.wdgt/

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AdditionalEssentials

pkg-version: 10.9.0.1.1.1306847324

It came from an Apple package with 10.9.

ESPN & the Movies widget are also within the same location on an 10.10 image that I have too.

Just to be clear, you are trying to add the widget within Dashboard via the ➕ icon? That should show the widgets installed.

Jul 26, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

Beyond that, I doubt there's anything to be done other than using something like a Notification Center Widget. There doesn't appear to be an ESPN widget for the Notification center, but there is one from Yahoo! Sports.

Is the 'web clip' widget still working?

That allows you to trim a section of a webpage & pin it to the dashboard. It seems ideal to me assuming ESPN have a page with the results that interest you…

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/create-web-clip-widgets-for-dashboard/

Jul 26, 2016 8:37 AM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

Phil0124 wrote:

Is the 'web clip' widget still working?

That allows you to trim a section of a webpage & pin it to the dashboard. It seems ideal to me assuming ESPN have a page with the results that interest you…

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/create-web-clip-widgets-for-dashboard/

Yes, that still works fine.

You could set the result bar from espn.com to a widget if you wanted to.

Jul 28, 2016 8:06 PM in response to Apple4Ever556

Hi Byron,

Dashboard widgets haven't really been supported or updated for some time now - mostly since the app Notification Center was introduced. Some continue to function, but others have bitten the dust.

I think you might want to try to find alternatives for the ones you like to use or see if you can add things to Notification Center that will help.

About The Mac Dashboard & The Dashboard App's???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.