Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove an alias of my Apple ID email address?

Wondering how I can remove an alias of my Apple ID email. I tried to remove it in settings on iCloud but it did not allow for removal there. It only identified it as an alias of my current email address which i used to set up my Apple ID.

Posted on Jul 27, 2016 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2016 8:12 AM

Thank you. I tried that but it doesn't list that additional email as an alias. It still states that I have three alias available. This email is listed under my main email and doesn't let me click on it. It has a small question mark above which was 'click-able' and that gave me the information about it being an alias of the Apple ID. I'm stumped.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2016 8:12 AM in response to gail from maine

Thank you. I tried that but it doesn't list that additional email as an alias. It still states that I have three alias available. This email is listed under my main email and doesn't let me click on it. It has a small question mark above which was 'click-able' and that gave me the information about it being an alias of the Apple ID. I'm stumped.

Jul 28, 2016 8:06 AM in response to 1311lombard

To manage an Alias email address, you would go to iCloud Mail and do the following:

Change, turn off, turn on, or delete an alias

1. In iCloud Mail, click the Action pop-up menu User uploaded file in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Select the alias in the Addresses list, then do any of the following:
    • To choose a new color for incoming messages, click a Label Color option. Alias labels appear only in the iCloud Mail app on iCloud.com.
    • To change the name or label, enter a new alias name and label in the fields provided. Alias names must contain between 3 and 20 characters.
    • To turn off an alias, select “Disable alias.”When an alias is turned off, all email messages addressed to that alias are returned to the sender.
    • To turn on an alias, deselect “Disable alias.”
    • To delete an alias, click Delete.
  4. Click Done.

Cheers,

GB

Jul 28, 2016 9:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

One is a .com address. That's the one I want to keep. the other is an .icloud address. It's the iCloud address that I wanted to drop. If it were my iCloud address it would be OK but somehow my very young, very clever son added that alias with his .icloud email address. So my Apple ID is accessible with his email address. I guess the only thing I can do is change the password. Thank you -

Jul 28, 2016 9:36 AM in response to 1311lombard

What you describe, at least as I understand it, isn't possible. If your ID is not an Apple address, i.e. @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com (saying it's a .com address doesn't really mean anything) you can change it to another non-Apple address but not to an Apple address. If it's not an Apple address you can't sign in with an other address. If it is you can sign in with other versions but only if you have them through being a member for a long time.

If your son has an iCloud account, and thus an @icloud.com address, he cannot move that address into your account. So I'm afraid I don't really understand what has been going on; but changing the password to something unguessable is a really good place to start.

Jul 28, 2016 9:55 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for your reply. So confusing!! My main address is not an apple address. My sons address is an apple (.icloud) address. When in iCloud Mail preferences both appear as main addresses and I can sign onto account using either. The only explanation it gives via the small question mark upper right is that the Apple address is the alias of my non Apple address. And although it says it's an alias, it doesn't recognize it as a proper alias to the left. It indicates I still have 3 available aliases. I changed the password so that'll work but now I'm curious as to how his email address was added to my account and how it became the alias to my non Apple email address. So crazy!

Aug 18, 2016 4:12 AM in response to 1311lombard

Hi 1311lombard - I have exactly the same situation as you except it's my husband's icloud account that is being used as an alias. I also have a personal email address as my apple id (my itunes account was set up years before icloud was even thought of). We use one apple id for iTunes as thanks to Apple we were unable to set up separate accounts and split all our music etc so we've kept that and have set up separate Apple IDs for our own personal use. The only thing I can think of is that my husband has tried to sign into our iTunes account using his own icloud account and somehow has added it as an alias (although he swears he hasn't - no surprise there). Doesn't solve the problem though. Pain isn't it?

Nov 16, 2016 12:43 AM in response to budgie2

I also have this problem, my dead mother's iCloud email has been added to my iCloud account as an "Alias" but it is the only one that is not deleteable. What is worse is that Mail on my iPad has taken to automatically sending my emails under this address rather than my gmail address. It is very distressing to keep seeing a dead person's email address coming up as yours and I think Apple should make it possible to delete it or change it to a new iCloud email with my name.

I assume the problem is due to my having had an Apple ID since before you needed an email address and before Apple did email addresses. Somehow Apple must have latched on to my mother's iCloud email and attached it to my account because I didn't have an iCloud email. I certainly did not do it myself.

How can I remove an alias of my Apple ID email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.