You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to fiber modem

I live in Thailand. I just upgraded from DSL to fiber. My DSL modem is a TP-Link provided by the telecon; the fiber modem is called "FiberHome".

With DSL I connected my Time Capsule to the TP-Link modem to one of the ethernet ports, and created my wifi network with the Time Capsule. I turned off wifi in the TP-Link modem.

Once the fiber modem was up and running I tried connecting the Time Capsule the same way. It appears to work, but it still was using the old network name and the speed was not very fast compared to what I was getting directly from the modem, so I did a hard reset of the Time Capsule. Mistake. Now it is not recognized by the fiber modem. I have the Capsule set to bridge mode, as it was when connected to the DSL modem. But I'm guessing there's some setting I don't know about since the fiber modem won't recognize the Time Capsule. The LAN port indicator on the modem does not illuminate when I plug the Time Capsule into the fiber modem. I have tried using the WAN port as well as the ethernet ports to connect to the fiber modem, though I know I used the ethernet port to connect to the DSL modem.

I'm guessing I might need to change a setting in the fiber modem, which I can; I have the PW and already have accessed and reviewed settings. I can't see anything in the Time Capsule settings that might correct this issue. But then I quickly get lost when I get this deep.

One thing I noticed when I had the Time Capsule plugged in, the indicator on the front was flashing amber. But every 4th or 5th flash it would momentarily go green, then back to amber. I can't find a document that defines the LED information.

My next step is to call the provider, but I'd sure like to resolve this myself if I can. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 29, 2016 4:08 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Tesserax

Unless I'm missing something, it's a router and modem, as it has 4 LAN ports and provides wifi. It's pretty much identical to the TP-Link modem/router I have with DSL. (My DSL is still active, and I'm using it now with my Time Capsule.)

I thought about it a little more after posting, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's really no difference between this modem/router and the DSL modem/router once the signal is in (meaning, copper or fiber is simply the means of transporting the same information, which is handled the same once through the modem).

Meaning, my issue is one of configuration of the new modem/router. I could probably compare the TP-Link settings to the fiber modem/router settings, but there's so many screens it could take a while as I have no clue what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your comment, by the way.

Jul 29, 2016 10:41 AM in response to mudbug

Unless I'm missing something, it's a router and modem, as it has 4 LAN ports and provides wifi. It's pretty much identical to the TP-Link modem/router I have with DSL.

Yes, it is a wireless gateway and a very similar set up as the TP-Link DSL gateway. By default, both of these would be performing as your "main" router. As such, connecting the Time Capsule (TC) to either, the TC should be reconfigured as a bridge. That is, the TC's routing functions should be disabled.

I thought about it a little more after posting, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's really no difference between this modem/router and the DSL modem/router once the signal is in (meaning, copper or fiber is simply the means of transporting the same information, which is handled the same once through the modem).

You understand it perfectly.

Meaning, my issue is one of configuration of the new modem/router. I could probably compare the TP-Link settings to the fiber modem/router settings, but there's so many screens it could take a while as I have no clue what I'm looking for.

Is your networking goal to replace the DSL service with fiber? If so, then you do NOT want to duplicate the settings between the two gateways ... at least, not most of them.

Whenever installing new networking hardware or changing ISPs, it is always a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking equipment. The following AirPort User tip provides the details.

If; however, your goal is to run both Internet services, then the proper set up will be different and more complicated depending on exactly what you want to do.

Jul 29, 2016 10:51 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for that apple support page. I will try it tomorrow.

FYI, the TC is set up as a bridge. And ironically, as I said in my first post, it was working with the new fiber modem/router until I did the hard reset. So, thinking about it, I guess I must have affected a setting in the TC. But having looked at it a few times, I can't see what might be incorrectly set. The most important setting seemed to be setting it to bridge.

I have two Airport Expresses (besides the Time Capsule) connected to the modem/router via ethernet, so yes, I want the service provider's modem/router to control things, and the other devices to work off of it. Once I get the fiber network operating, I'll shut down the DSL modem/router/service.

Thanks again.

Jul 29, 2016 10:59 AM in response to mudbug

FYI, the TC is set up as a bridge. And ironically, as I said in my first post, it was working with the new fiber modem/router until I did the hard reset. So, thinking about it, I guess I must have affected a setting in the TC. But having looked at it a few times, I can't see what might be incorrectly set. The most important setting seemed to be setting it to bridge.

As the tip will provide, power recycling the networking equipment in order is important to allow each component to both initialize properly and "synchronize" with each other. Chances are good that the gateway just didn't "recognize" the TC after it was reset and the communication link between them got broken.

Connecting to fiber modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.