Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update AMD driver on Bootcamp

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing a really annoying problem for a really long time now. I have been trying to update my AMD graphics card driver in Bootcamp for months now, only to receive the same error over and over again. See the screenshot below:

User uploaded file

Specs:

MacBook Pro Retina 15" - Late 2015

AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit version) - installing the latest updates as I write this, but no previous update has resolved this issue

Ps: Bootcamp is also up to date, I have ran the Apple Update software several times and the only thing that isn't installed is iTunes and iCloud Photos, which I don't see how those could resolve a graphics card driver issue.

I hope someone has the answer to this, I would really appreciate some help!

Cheers,

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jul 30, 2016 6:06 AM

91 replies

Aug 14, 2017 3:07 PM in response to ejcii

Apple - Please update your drivers to the latest version provided by AMD as the current graphics update is incompatible with most new graphics intense programs and the latest games! - Please contact AMD and get their update compatible with the below;

MacBook Pro Retina 15" - Late 2015

AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Windows 10 Pro - 64bit

Kind regards,

Jake

Apr 6, 2017 5:09 PM in response to ejcii

Old thread, but this might be useful to someone.

I run Boot Camp on my MBP, which is mostly used for worky stuff - game dev, video editing, VFX, motion graphics. So it's important my GPU is a happy bunny. Late 2011 MBP, Radeon 6750M, Windows 7 Pro x64.

The 15.310 (?) drivers were causing 3ds Max to crash whilst using the Rayfire plugin (GPU accelerated I assume) and causing occasional wireframe corruption under normal use, so I decided to try an upgrade. I'm now on 16.60.2911 with no issues at all so far, Max feels a bit nippier too.

Head over here, and read/follow the PDF that comes with your download: http://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Your mileage may vary, but so far so good for me.

Apr 6, 2017 5:40 AM in response to matd2100

Hey matd2100, those results for the D500 with your modified drivers are pretty bad. I have tested myself with both the official drivers and the modified ones. The modified are way worse.

Here are my results with the original drivers compared to yours, I have the exact same specs as you:
https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/compute/523260

You can see I scored much higher than the custom drivers. It was also very noticeable in games who had a worse framerate with the custom drivers.

I tested with the modified drivers and got similar results to yours. The modified drivers have a performance hit of about -20% which is really bad. I wouldn't recommend using those, at least for the Mac Pro.

Apr 30, 2017 1:01 PM in response to matd2100

matd2100 thank you so much! I was able to beat Little Nightmares on my trash can Mac Pro [D700s] in Windows 10 Boot Camp after installing your latest modified AMD graphics drivers (17.4.4)! 🙂 It was just crashing before that. Amazing game by the way. Tarsier Studios uses the visual style of their defunct Metronome. Requires a gamepad. Thumbs Up!

http://tarsier.se/ourwork/littlenightmares

http://tarsier.se/ourwork/the-city-of-metronome

Aug 2, 2017 5:06 AM in response to ejcii

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead somewhat but I am having similar problems to original poster.

To clarify: I am using an old imac circa 2007. I have a fresh bootcamp partition with Windows 7. I have downloaded what I believe to be the latest bootcamp drivers. I am trying to play Wildstar but my fps is very poor, however I meet all the system requirements for the game. I went into DxDiag and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 4000 series (4850 I believe) and the driver is listed as 8.x up to date as off 2011, so I am safe to assume there is a newer driver. I cannot run apple software update, it stops working halfway through every time and gives an error message. I have tried both of the hosted bootcamp drivers on AMD's site but both fail to recognise any AMD drivers and quit the install process. I am at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed - I have downloaded the latest drivers for bootcamp manually and run them and it has not updated the driver version. I noted the bootcampdrivers.com link someone posted but this lacks a legacy driver for 4000 series cards. Is 8.x really the latest driver for 4000 series? As my post probably makes very clear I am pretty unfamiliar with this whole area so would really appreciate someone explaining to me what I might do. Many thanks.

Aug 2, 2017 7:25 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the response.

Yes I did do that. Initially I was surprised to see that the ATI/AMD driver was indeed from 2011 so I tried to do a fresh driver download as the bootcamp drivers for windows 7 on my model (late 2009 imac 27" - sorry got that wrong before) were showing as being from 2014. Unfortunately the pertinent driver date was the same - 13/06/2011. The AMD site shows they transitioned to a legacy driver in 2013 version 8.9. I currently have 8.812.0.0. If it is in fact the case that this is the most up to date driver available then I suppose I just have to live with it but it is a shame.

Aug 26, 2017 3:37 AM in response to RobHWagner

Hi Rob,

Just been reading up on what you spotted about the latest last available legacy driver not being available for your HD4000 Radeon card. I can definitely help you out here and provide you with the last ever release of 8.97.100.11 but I can also tweak the version numbering so it thinks its the latest driver (so that newer games will at least run without saying to update the driver).

I will need your official Apple bootcamp driver first though so I can make the necessary tweaks. You can download it via bootcamp assistant and then if you wouldn't mind uploading it to a dropbox or gdrive and then sending me the link. I can have something ready for you this bank holiday weekend.

Sep 25, 2017 5:30 PM in response to ejcii

it doesn't run perfect. you can't run microsoft games with bootcamp (ex. forza horizon, which i paid 100 bucks for btw)

and it barley plays halo forge with all the unoptimized settings. i was thinking of using this one guys driver but i didn't because I'm too scared it would **** up my machine again (would be 4th time i would have to reset windows and redownload everything)

Oct 14, 2017 3:24 AM in response to ejcii

There is a site on the net that is dedicated to supporting us "poor farts" 'stuck' with Apple devices but wanting a little gaming performance with Windows... :-)

Checkout "bootcampdrivers" (use the Google!)... You should find far more up-to-date drivers for MOST of Apple's computers there and their relevant dedicated / discrete GPUs.

The versions there are by no means "current" the way one could go with non-Apple hardware, but they tend to be far closer to current than what Apple makes available and seem to work pretty well!

Oct 14, 2017 4:30 AM in response to matd2100

Been using your drivers for the last few weeks already, thanks man!

Only had this MBP for maybe a month now, moved up from an old BTO 17-incher circa 2009 with the old NVidia 9600M discrete chip... So WELL used to using modified driver packs to make sure I can get some decent gaming done...

However, I am NOT as used to the AMD side of things. That, and MSI Afterburner has changed some since I was last gaming seriously (a couple of years back) and I'm running into some unexpected hassles:

I CANNOT get Afterburner to actually commit any changes to the GPU core and memory clock speeds! I can play with sliders all day, but as soon as I hit "apply" any and all changes go right out the window!

So. Was hoping you could help me with this? Please? What the HECK do I have to do to be able to edit my GPUs performance the way I'm used to???

As things stand right now there's nothing TOO unusual about my setup... I'm running your latest driver pack, latest version of Afterburner and Rivatuner. Additional bits-and-bobs like MacsFanControl etc. etc. but nothing that's actually directly pertinent to this conversation / need...

Please mate, any and all help appreciated!!!

(Final bit of useful data: 15-inch MBP 512GB with ADM Radeon 560 4GB. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, JUST updated to Creators... Though this issue existed before said update and just continues exactly the way it was before.).

Can't update AMD driver on Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.