Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iMovie preferences?

I have read forums and tried all of the suggestions on finding and deleting iMovie preferences. I cannot find my iMovie preferences! I am running OS 10.11.3 El Capitan and iMovie 10.1.2. Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jul 31, 2016 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2016 11:45 AM

If you hold down the option key while opening iMovie, you will get a dialogue box giving you the option to delete

preferences. You can find the preferences by clicking on iMovie in the menu bar at the top of your screen, and selecting preferences.

You also can find iMovie preferences in the following places:

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovie.plist

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

When you close iMovie and delete the above two files, they will be recreated upon relaunch of iMovie.

That said, in most situations deleting preferences usually doesn't help. But sometimes it does help and so it is a simple diagnostic starting place.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2016 11:45 AM in response to Count No Count

If you hold down the option key while opening iMovie, you will get a dialogue box giving you the option to delete

preferences. You can find the preferences by clicking on iMovie in the menu bar at the top of your screen, and selecting preferences.

You also can find iMovie preferences in the following places:

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovie.plist

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

When you close iMovie and delete the above two files, they will be recreated upon relaunch of iMovie.

That said, in most situations deleting preferences usually doesn't help. But sometimes it does help and so it is a simple diagnostic starting place.

Jul 31, 2016 11:59 AM in response to Rich839

preferences.

A slight confusion 😁 The options-key alone will bring up the Library Chooser panel at start-up, not the "Delete Preferences" panel.

You need both keys - option-command to bring up the "Delete Preferences" dialog.

Jul 31, 2016 1:57 PM in response to Count No Count

In iMOvie 10.1.2 you can delete the preferences by launching iMovie while holding down the key combination option-command ⌥⌘

Keep holding down both keys together firmly, while clicking the iMovie icon. Keep holding down the keys, until you are seeing this panel:

User uploaded file

Click "Delete Preferences".

After you deleted the preferences, you will need to enter all preferences again in the "iMovie > Preferences".

Where are my iMovie preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.