Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving composited clip - How?!

Just getting started with FCP-X and have run into a problem trying to simply save an effect I created (composite?) that uses several masks to eliminate text.

OK, so I need to save this in order to duplicate it and have it repeat and maybe use elsewhere. How to save it? I tried Control/R but am unable to duplicate that short clip. It's a windmill, and I want to have it turning for awhile, so I need to have several clips with the mask, and I also want to use it later on as that clip. I can't get it. Darn!! (and help!!)

I could do this easily with former NLE - just clicked render and the file was there.

Posted on Jul 31, 2016 8:59 PM

13 replies

Jul 31, 2016 9:05 PM in response to keithgvp

Used to be able to edit the posts - where is that option?

Anyway, since somebody's going to ask for a screenshot for the Saving composited clip post I just posted, here it is. The clip is highlighted in yellow and the masks are above, but how can I save the effect as a rendered composite clip? The Help menu is no help 😐

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2016 10:19 PM in response to keithgvp

keithgvp wrote:

.. trying to simply save an effect I created (composite?) that uses several masks to eliminate text.

OK, so I need to save this in order to duplicate it and have it repeat and maybe use elsewhere. How to save it? ...

select everything and make it a compound (opt-G)

It's then listed as a new clip in your Event under the name you gave it.

You can use that compound-clip as any other clip...

Jul 31, 2016 10:26 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Well, thanks! That wasn't easily found in the Help menu, was it? I'll try opt-G next time, but the workaround I stumbled on was to select the clip and go to Share (command E) but that was a multistep process and I had to import it...all the same, it did work. The masking is complicated compared with my other NLE, but I guess I can warm up to it. FCP-X is darned complicated...sort of the way people used to compare the simplicity of TextEdit with MS Word. Speaking of Mac programs, if you know Pages, they have (like Photoshop) shapes you can create and color and then drag and drop over whatever you want to cover. I guess they're not masks, really. In Final Cut, you go to Generators and choose shape, but so far I found it wasn't so simple to adjust it...lots of controls, etc. 😮

Aug 1, 2016 8:11 AM in response to keithgvp

keithgvp wrote:

...That wasn't easily found in the Help menu, was it?..

trouble is you have to know how it's called, what you're searching for. LOL

I very much recommend to learn FCPX from the ground, forget all habitual workflows you used in the past!

keithgvp wrote:

...The masking is complicated compared with my other NLE, ...

no...?? It even supports handdrawn masks, ...

User uploaded file

combing masks

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.2/?lang=en#/ver2531c0ab1

adding, substracting ...

keithgvp wrote:

.... FCP-X is darned complicated...... In Final Cut, you go to Generators and choose shape, ..

no?

you goto Effects/Masks and have all kind of options ... easy as that.

... 'from the ground' ... 😉

Aug 1, 2016 8:15 AM in response to keithgvp

Thanks Karsten, you're right, of course. And it took me years (and lots of hair-pulling) to master my former program. Trouble is, many, like myself think, oh, I need to get something done right away, and let's do it in this new FCP-X everyone's crazy about. And then...!!

But like iMovie, which I've learned to like, there's definitely a work flow and intuitiveness I'm very pleased with. It's only when you try something like mattes and masks that you run up against new techniques to learn. I thought it's a little like, if you can fly a Cessna, and then they put you in the cockpit of a 747!

Aug 1, 2016 10:03 AM in response to keithgvp

Sorry, not solved! Opt-G does not save the effects - all I get is the clip without the effects. I've tried this 4 times - same thing.

Am I not making myself clear? All I need to do is to save the clip with the effects in it. Gosh!! why can't FCP do this. or why isn't it explained clearly. Opt-G? Please help, and if not, someone else, thanks.

Otherwise I have to do command E and then re-import the file, and it's a bunch of extra steps.

Aug 1, 2016 10:43 AM in response to keithgvp

keithgvp wrote:

Sorry, not solved! Opt-G does not save the effects - ...

ok, step-by-step:

instead using a pic-processor, we 'shop' a pic in FCPX, here's how …….

Step #1:

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

pic/clip is in timeline

Effects/Masks apply a Shape Mask

under the clip, add a Solid, white generator

Step #2:

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

use the masks handles to adjust the mask for the cover-up

in Inspector check 'Invert mask' - tadahh, copyright infringement done!! 😉

Step #3:

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

select clip and generator, hit opt-G, give compound nice name .....

Step #4:

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

In your Event Browser, you'll find your Compound ... use it as any other clip...

Optional:

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

in case, you need to adjust something, just double-click the CC - it opens in its own timeline ...

Hint: any changes here will happen in all instances of this clip in any project with it!

Discloser:

Compounds Are Root of All Evil!

(sorry, Keith, silly internal joke 😉 )

Aug 1, 2016 11:07 AM in response to keithgvp

keithgvp wrote:

Thanks again, you're a great teacher. ...

obviously not so - otherwise it would work.

YOUR screenshots show a pile of generators, you plaster over your original....

try my method of masks - don't miss to invert it.

And, you can apply several masks .... or paint one.

... as you can see in MY screenshot, it works. Like charme. Here. 😉

Saving composited clip - How?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.