Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Data after 10 failed passcode attempts

I have the Erase Data after 10 failed passcode attempts option Turned ON.

I had performed 10 failed passcode logon attempts on my iPhone and then it said iPhone Disable Please try again in 1 minute. I thought after the first 10 attempts, the phone will wipe all the data and then reboots to factory settings. But this did not happen even though I had enabled the Erase Data after 10 failed logon attempts. Instead, I had to wait 1 minute before logging into my phone again.

The Erase Data option is misleading as it states 10 Failed Logon Attempts and users think that after entering the wrong passcode 10 times, they think the phone will automatically erase the data. But that's not the case, as it locks you out at certain time intervals being 1 minute the first time and 15 minutes the next and so on...

I had been using different passcodes incorrectly and my phone is not even jail broken.

So any ideas here as to why this Erase Option is not kicking right after 10 incorrect passcode attempts?

And what does this mean?

I read this somewhere a while ago on an article but I don't know what do they mean by this regarding the Erase Data option.

commit your passcode to memory first before turning on the erase data option, or turn it off temporarily whenever you change your passcode to something else.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 31, 2016 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2016 11:29 PM

MY question is why does it have the 1 minute or more time based lockout?

One would think that the erase data option will immediately wipe data right after 10 incorrect logon attempts.

Instead it's giving me the iPhone disabled for 1 minute.

I need a good explanation on this please.

3 replies

Erase Data after 10 failed passcode attempts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.