Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s is not showing the wifi calling option for Verizon

I don't see the wifi calling option on my wife's iPhone 5s. Some places I read that the 5s can do wifi calling and others say no - it's a bit confusing. I've set it up on my iPhone 6s and my daughter's iPhone 6 and it works pretty good in our house where we have some problems with stable cell signal strength .

So the question is: Can an iPhone 5s do wifi calling with Verizon?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 1, 2016 11:19 AM

20 replies

Oct 3, 2017 3:23 PM in response to g_a_s

I have the same issue, updated my 5S and 5C to 11.0.2, and the Apple website shows it is supported on Verizon. Verizon website shows iPhone SE and higher required to use Wi-Fi on their network. Another "this is how they get ya" moment brought to you by Apple-Verizon. The "Official List" is only what they currently sell and they no longer carry or support the 5s or 5c according to the Verizon support line. Of course they offered an upgrade for just $29.99 a month more each.

Aug 1, 2016 11:53 AM in response to elcpu

I should have mentioned that I already did the support person said that the iPhone 5s does not handle wifi calling yet. I'll have to wait for a new IOS update. Oh, BTW, I have the latest version of IOS on this iPhone 5s.

I wonder if by chance there is some sort of reset with Verizon on the iPhone 5s that might help. I remember after one of my iPhone upgrades that there were some newer voice message features that my iPhone didn't have and I needed to do reset/reinit after which the iPhone then enabled the newer voice messaging features.

Aug 1, 2016 1:12 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for your reply. Part of the confusion for me is that Apple says models 5c and later can do wifi calling(the 5s is a later model than the 5c so it can handle wifi calling if the carrier allows it). When I called Verizon, the support person said the 5s couldn't do wifi calling because Apple's IOS wasn't supporting it, but I guess this person was just making an assumption about that when they saw it wasn't on Verizon's list of iPhones that allowed wifi calling. It appears that Verizon has the ability to control if various features are enabled based on the model of the iPhone.

Aug 1, 2016 1:50 PM in response to elcpu

As I understand the history of iPhone models, the 5s would be considered an equal or later model than the 5c.

List below from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Verizon's list of smartphones that can do wifi calling does not include the 5c. I'm curious if anyone out there has a 5c that can see the wifi calling option in the settings?

iPhone 5s is not showing the wifi calling option for Verizon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.