Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Motion Sensor

I would like to upgrade the stock hard drive on my black MacBook and was wondering what I am supposed to do with the sudden motion sensor that is currently enabled. I downloaded the hard drive replacement instructions from the Apple Support site but it makes no mention of it. Do I need to worry about this feature? Thanks, Marcus.

Power Mac G5 2.0 Dual Core w/20" Display & iSight (and Black MacBook w/1G RAM), Mac OS X (10.4.8), Airport Extreme, Airport Express, iPod video, mini, nano, original 1st Gen

Posted on Dec 7, 2006 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2006 11:44 AM

You don't have to worry about the Sudden Motion Sensor when upgrading your hard drive, with one caveat: supposedly some Western Digital hard drives have their own version of the SMS, which conflicts with Apple's. Other than that, it should be smooth sailing.
10 replies

Dec 7, 2006 8:43 PM in response to macboyinsf

No Problem!

Yes, like I said, most 3rd party drives will work. I am assuming that the western digitals have something build in to the actual drive- different from the macbooks, which is built into the computer. Just make sure the drive you are getting doesn't say it has a sudden motion sensor, that way, it will work with the one built into the macbook.

Dec 7, 2006 9:24 PM in response to macboyinsf

I've read in other forums that some WD hard drives have their own version of SMS built into the drive, and that some users were having problems with them. Personally, I recommend Seagate, because although slower than the fastest drives, they are backed by a 5 year warranty. On the other hand, you'll probably decide you want an even bigger hard drive in less time than that;-) If you want pure speed, go with a Hitachi. If you want a cheap drive, go with a Toshiba.

Sudden Motion Sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.