Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep Issues, Kernel Panics - MacBook Retina 12" Early 2016

I've had a fairly unfortunate experience with the new MacBook so far where, within only a few weeks, I am already on my third replacement:

1. Faulty keyboard - the 'b' key didn't work (replaced by genius apt)
  2. Complete logic board failure - Woke computer from sleep where it directly kernel panicked and would not start again (replaced by genus apt)
  3. Currently on my third replacement

My current MacBook has been for the most part fine (and a truly wonderful computer in a wonderful form factor), but I have noticed that three time in the last week, I would put my computer to sleep, put it in the case and go to the studio or home. I would find my MacBook hours later piping hot inside the case, unresponsive, and an essentially drained battery.

Soon after, the kernel panic screen would appear and the computer would reboot. Upon rebooting, everything would be laggy and slow, and impossible to enter my password. It would require another reboot to be able to get back into a usable state.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing any similar issues? It is quite frustrating not only to lose my entire workspace like this, but potentially problematic if I sleep the computer with any open/unsaved files.

I am on El Capitan 10.11.5

I can see in my console, when I closed the MacBook lid and slept it in the case, a massive list of console messages from 7pm until I opened the lid this morning. There seems to be some sort of cycle where I can see:

8/1/16 7:42:21.000 PM kernel[0]: ARPT: 88753.269871: IOPMPowerSource Information: onSleep, SleepType: Deep Idle, 'ExternalConnected': No, 'TimeRemaining': 322,

8/1/16 7:42:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Reverting sleep with relative wake

8/1/16 7:42:33.000 PM kernel[0]: RTC: Alarm 2016/8/1 23:42:28, sleep 2016/8/1 23:42:27

8/1/16 7:42:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Previous sleep cause: 5

8/1/16 7:42:33.072 PM PowerChime[378]: 582311.755263: EARLY WAKE: kStateAsleep -> kStateEarlyWake

8/1/16 7:42:33.832 PM WindowServer[170]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: NULL shield_window (lock state: 1)

This continues many times throughout the evening and I also see:

8/2/16 6:52:01.000 AM kernel[0]: ACPI: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5

8/2/16 6:52:01.000 AM kernel[0]: Sleep failure code 0x00000002 0x27006c00

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2016 4:16 AM

2 replies

Sep 12, 2016 2:08 AM in response to waffl

I am on my 2nd 2016 MacBook and it is experiencing similar, terrible problems. BOTH my first and this one have had an issue where I thought it was sleeping only to take it back out of the bag, piping hot and kernel panicking. I'm now facing a near daily issue where at home (where it is attached to Dell monitor and Apple wireless keyboard and mouse in closed-lid mode), I sleep it, disconnect it and take it to work where the same setup exists, but it will not wake from sleep. I have to do crazy dances (close/reopen lid, sleep it via VNC, etc.) to get it to wake up, often with only a hold of a power button doing it. Then, when I get home, the same situation yet again. My first unit had a bad backlight, but this one has something considerably more annoying.

Sep 26, 2016 5:17 AM in response to jaydisc

Yes this is the exact problem I am having as well - leaving one location, and when I arrive, take macbook out and it is piping hot and won't turn on, except now it is even happening simply leaving the computer on a table, plugged into wall with nothing else, this thing is kernel panicking on a daily (or more) basis.

Have you found any resolution to your issues? Could you maybe also post the initial part of your panic report in case there is overlap?

It's so frustrating and difficult because I am constantly losing work every day - I basically need to save and quit every app I am using before I leave the computer knowing there is an 80% chance it just won't wake up again.

The message I see in the console/report now is:

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f90fd59fa): "[IGPU] Failed to wake the ME.\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUDriversIntel/GPUDriversIntel-10 .14.73/Common/GLKernel/Intel/skl/sched3/IGGuC.cpp:1238

This is happening even just leaving the computer with nothing plugged in but the power, then returning hours later and nothing will wake the computer except a hard reboot. I suppose I will have to take it to Apple for my fourth macbook...

Unbelievable, this is the only Apple machine I've owned in over 13 years to exhibit behaviour even remotely similar to this. My previous MBP Retina 13" has been nearly flawless in its 3 years of service.

Sleep Issues, Kernel Panics - MacBook Retina 12" Early 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.