Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you check if my earpods are genuine (with photos)

Hi, I just bought a pair of new earpods to replace my old ones from an eBay seller (with a store on Jersey Islands www.onago.com). On the invoice, it says that is a genuine Apple product, and I paid for a genuine product.

When I opened the package I was surprised by the difference on the cable quality. The cable is thinner and with a different material finish (more plastic and less rubberized texture). After that, I started to compare the two earpods and I found a lot of differences.

My doubt is: Apple produced a new "version" of the earpods with some differences or I bought a high quality replica product?

User uploaded file

Differences in cable thickness

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The grid/mesh pattern is different!

User uploaded file

On the case, the engraved Apple logo was different depths (on the new earpods the depth is 0.1mm vs 0.2mm on the older/genuine ones)

Can you confirm these informations? I just opened an eBay case to ask for clarifications.

earpods-OTHER

Posted on Aug 3, 2016 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2016 5:19 PM

The newer earpods have a manufacture and serial number information on the cable, in gray, just a few inches above the plug. It is a light gray in color, and should be visible under a strong light.

EDIT:

This was really difficult to get, and I apologize for the quality of the photo, but it was hard to do by myself and hold that cord! See the writing?

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2016 5:19 PM in response to samuelcarreira

The newer earpods have a manufacture and serial number information on the cable, in gray, just a few inches above the plug. It is a light gray in color, and should be visible under a strong light.

EDIT:

This was really difficult to get, and I apologize for the quality of the photo, but it was hard to do by myself and hold that cord! See the writing?

User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2016 2:20 AM in response to samuelcarreira

Thank you very much ChrisJ4203 and ckuan,

My older/genuine earpods have the following information printed on the cable

Designed by Apple in California Assembled in Vietnam DV*******7R5

The suspicious one:

User uploaded file

Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China DT******010

This website https://checkcoverage.apple.com/don't cover earpods category, so I cannot check the validity of this number 😕

And it's now impossible for me to go to an Apple Store…

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Aug 4, 2016 3:54 AM in response to samuelcarreira

After I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2R_cJOFmbk (from a Brazilian YouTuber) I was more convinced that the serial number don't proof that my earpods are genuine and all the details point to a high-quality replica.

It's hard to check for visual differences on the earpods (some are more perceptive to touch), but it's easy to see differences in the case. I will post some photos so it can help other people with the same problem

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

See how the plastic mold didn't have the same finish quality, and there are more "hard edges" on the places where the cable will contact (sorry for my English).

After that, I am almost 100% convinced that they sell me a counterfeit product 😠
Luckily I have a genuine product to made the comparisons.

Aug 4, 2016 7:23 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

The main problem is the price, on Apple store, it costs 29 € (which is a lot of money for a pair of earphones when I live), and I paid only half of the price. In 2013 I bought a genuine one from an eBay seller ( username: amobiles1 ) it cost me 15 € and they are 100% genuine. Now I didn't have the same fortune with the new seller 😠

A nice day for you too!

Can you check if my earpods are genuine (with photos)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.