Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionaries missing in iOS 9

I have no dictionaries available in my iPhone. I'm running iOS 9.3.3, but I think the problem started when I was back on iOS 8.

If I select a word in an app (e.g. Safari) and tap on it, then select "define", it says "No definitions found."

When I then click on "Manage" there are no dictionaries listed.

I have tried rebooting, changing languages and resetting settings, to no avail.

I have seen other people reporting this issue in the apple stack exchange site in the last few days:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/248018/empty-list-of-dictionaries-ios-9 -3-2-9-3-3-ipad-mini

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/206413/dictionaries-on-ios-9-not-workin g

How can I get my dictionary back?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.3, null

Posted on Aug 3, 2016 11:16 PM

18 replies

Aug 8, 2016 3:08 AM in response to Ergwun

Same problem with me. The funny thing is that the dictionaries work just fine on my old iPad2 iOs 9.3.3 but not on my iPhone 5s, same software. Syncing reading and bookmarks works fine between the 2 devices in iBooks. I changed language and region to the same settings to no avail. Later this week I'll be able to connect to my iTunes. That's my last hope for the time although I can't see the logic for a remedy.

Aug 12, 2016 1:25 AM in response to mkrier

I'm afraid the problem has appeared because of Apple.

They changed (for some unknowing reason) the address for downloading dictionaries in one of the system files:

com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary2.xml

Previously dictionaries download address pointed to "ios9.1" folder, but now it points to "ios10.0" folder. But looks like this new path doesn't contain required dictionaries. That is why the list of the dictionaries is empty when you try to manage them.

At the same time if you updated to iOS 9.3.3 (or maybe 9.3.2) and already had dictionaries on your device - they will stay there and you can use them. In my case I updated from 9.01 to 9.3.3 on my iPhone and can still use dictionaries downloaded half a year ago. But when updating iPad I had to do a restore and all dictionaries are gone now and I cannot download them again.

Aug 9, 2016 8:24 AM in response to maxim_k

There are some other things pointing to this version...

Bigger problem is not missing calendars (this appears only if you make reset of device for iOS 9.3.x either by restoring of backup or through cleaning reset as new device) but impossibility to download new - button 'Add' is missing. Button could be missed because new location is not available. 😟

From other side there is a reasonable explanation why in actual versions of iOS 9.x they have wrong pointer to download resource - Apple prepare iOS 10. Any critical security fixes found there and fixed for iOS 10 should be propagated to lower supported versions (in our case 9.3.x). If any of these fixes where related to dictionaries mechanism then the small piece of code with wrong address could be just propagated from iOS 10 to iOS 9.3.x branch. See previous post:

maxim_k wrote:

Previously dictionaries download address pointed to "ios9.1" folder, but now it points to "ios10.0" folder.

So we can predict - either Apple will recognize mistake and fix it separately for iOS 9.3.x (other version could be not impacted as code merge to every version usually is separate operation) or problem will be fixed by upgrade ro iOS 10 - we see that for iOS 10 they already have correct address.

Let's push Apple service as much as possible and point to 'impossibility to add new dictionary' (to my mind this is correct point for pushing) so this will have a chance to be seen by them and maybe receive a fast fix.

Dictionaries missing in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.