Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Support for iPad/iOS

I know this is a long-running question/suggestion but I wanted to provide my own use case. I have an iPad Air 2 right now, which I use for mostly personal content and limited work content. I am definitely interested in going to the 12.9-inch Pro since it has a great deal more real estate and has been marketed as the iPad that can replace my laptop. iPad is incredibly close to achieving this vision for me but with one glaring exception: a good bit of my work is dependent on creating HTML content using a Java plug-in. Clearly, iOS and Safari has never supported Java and other plug-ins in Safari for iOS and it doesn't look like there are plans to do so in iOS 10. If you really want me to consider iPad over something akin to a Surface Pro 4 or any traditional PC/laptop, you have to give me all of the functionality I need on top of everything I know iPad can do. It's Apple so I know you're capable of doing it. Hopefully, one day you choose to act on it. Thanks.

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Aug 4, 2016 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 11:37 AM

You can install Java on Macs, but not iOS devices. Primarily because having a Java Virtual Machine on any computer is an open door to hackers around the world. You will get all kinds of warnings installing Java on a Mac, but it will let you.

9 replies

Aug 4, 2016 10:07 AM in response to vesu0073

vesu0073 wrote:

If you really want me to consider iPad over something akin to a Surface Pro 4 or any traditional PC/laptop, you have to give me all of the functionality I need on top of everything I know iPad can do. It's Apple so I know you're capable of doing it. Hopefully, one day you choose to act on it. Thanks.

I don't really want you to do anything. This is a user-to-user technical support forum. You're not addressing Apple.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

However, from what I understand, Java represents a greater security risk than Apple is willing to expose iOS devices to.

Aug 4, 2016 6:18 PM in response to vesu0073

The vast majority of malware and virus infections on computers come through hacking into client-side Java and Adobe Flash. For this reason most security experts strongly recommend having neither Java nor Flash on your computer. Apple apparently took this advice to heart and supports neither on iOS devices. It seems to have worked, because there is no known malware that affects iOS devices. Contrast this with over 300 known viruses and other malware that infect Android devices, and tens of thousands that affect Windows computers.

And the old argument that it's simply because there aren't enough Apple devices for hackers to bother with is rendered invalid by the fact that there are now over 1 billion iPhones in use worldwide.

If Java is essential to you then the iPhone is not your best choice, as it is unlikely that Apple will ever support it.

Aug 4, 2016 8:20 PM in response to vesu0073

These run java on a server and pass the results to the ipad pro app.

"java for iPad is now a reality! If you were ever wondering how to use java for iPad, now you can! With the Virtual-Browser for Firefox App, java for iPad is possible with one simple app download! Virtual-Browser for Firefox App opens up a wide variety of apps and games – like java for iPad – that you can use from your iPad"
http://www.virtualfirefox.com/java-for-ipad

VirtualBrowser for Firefox with Flash-browser, Java Player and Add-ons - iPhone Edition
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtualbrowser-for-firefox/id609289360?mt=8

Java Support for iPad/iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.