Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accountsd wants to use the "Local Items" Keychain

Problem

Today, when I was looking through my keychain access (no idea why), I found that the Login and Local Items keychain was unlocked. So of course, I proceeded to locking it. Immediately after, a popup came up with this: "accountsd wants to use the Local Items/Login keychain". Then it asked for my password. This made me feel suspicious because I recently downloaded something off of the Internet and I am paranoid that it might be malware. I feel like the Login and Local Items keychains have been both unlocked for some time now because otherwise I would have experienced this problem sooner.

Here are some details about my mac:

-Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch

-OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.4

-Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

-Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

-Storage: 121 GB

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 4, 2016 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 1:43 AM

Sierra update 10.12.3 seems to trigger "accountsd" to prompt for the password every 24 hours.

Good for security, but quite an annoyance.

I use different passwords for the Logon keychain and the main system password - this is now becoming painful, but it means additional security should/when I loose my laptop.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2017 1:43 AM in response to TheNoobOfTheInternet

Sierra update 10.12.3 seems to trigger "accountsd" to prompt for the password every 24 hours.

Good for security, but quite an annoyance.

I use different passwords for the Logon keychain and the main system password - this is now becoming painful, but it means additional security should/when I loose my laptop.

Oct 17, 2016 7:08 AM in response to sdpacific

"Accountsd" is part of the computer frameworks. For an account such as Mail to access your email server, it needs the password for the account. Keychain stores the password so you don't have to input it every time you access mail. If you don't give it access, you will be prompted for passwords every time you open and app such as Mail and each time that app accesses the server.

Accountsd wants to use the "Local Items" Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.