Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I mark an email NOT JUNK

I lots fo email that are legit & properly addressed going into Junk. There is no way now to mark them as NOT JUNK. There used to be an icon & at one time when you slecetd an email in Junk you could tell Mail it wasn't junk bit seems to have disappeared.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Aug 4, 2016 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2016 6:48 PM

The 'not junk' icon has disappeared 😠

Well sort of ... in the Inbox you will see your icon 'Junk' in the toolbar.. if not, add it through 'Customize Toolbar'

Now, when you go yo your Junk folder, you will see the same icon has now changed to 'Not Junk' in the toolbar.

Many people miss the seperate old 'Junk' + 'Not Junk' icons.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2016 6:48 PM in response to Howker

The 'not junk' icon has disappeared 😠

Well sort of ... in the Inbox you will see your icon 'Junk' in the toolbar.. if not, add it through 'Customize Toolbar'

Now, when you go yo your Junk folder, you will see the same icon has now changed to 'Not Junk' in the toolbar.

Many people miss the seperate old 'Junk' + 'Not Junk' icons.

Mar 1, 2017 11:52 AM in response to Forfaaaarksake

Digging through these messages I was able to understand that there still is a "Not Junk" button in Sierra, but it only appears when you are inside the Junk mailbox. But that leaves me with a problem: I have a piece of mail which was (somehow, probably by the Mac Mail client) marked junk and turned brown; if I use the Not Junk button, the mail is moved to the Inbox, but it is still brown. How can I change its color back to the correct black?

Aug 4, 2016 4:04 PM in response to Howker

No, many Mac users use gMail, or the email services provided by their ISPs, i.e., Comcast, Verizon, etc. Suprisingly, there are still alot of AOL and Yahoo users too.

Also, if you have mail in your Inbox that you feel is junk, just drag and drop it to your Junk folder. This training works with not only the Mail app, but also with the iCloud web mail version.

Aug 4, 2016 7:10 PM in response to Howker

The purpose of marking email as Not Junk is so that Mail can learn not to flag it. However, Mail may not be flagging it, so it is not actually marked as junk. Since Mail doesn't think it is Junk, there is no purpose in marking it Not Junk from within Mail.

Spam can be moved into the Junk folder in various ways.

1) Your email provider (iCloud, Gmail, etc) can move it to the server Spam folder before it is ever delivered to you.

2) Your email provider or anyone else that touches the email while it is enroute to you you can mark the email with Spam headers. If you have the Junk Mail filter set to Trust Junk email headers, Mail will move the message to the Junk folder, but won't mark it as Junk because it has no idea why somebody else marked it as Junk.

3) Mail identifies the email as Junk and moves it into the Junk folder and also marks it as Junk

If 1) or 2) applies, the message is not marked as Junk because Mail does not know why.

You can only mark it as Not Junk if 3) applies.

For 1) and 2) you must log into your email provider's web portal and tell it that the message is not Junk so that it can learn to not mark it as Junk in the future.

Aug 5, 2016 10:01 AM in response to Howker

Thnx everyone for replies. Very helpful. Still evaluating if its working. To expand a little on my problem - I deal with a financial company in the UK, their email's no matter how often I move them from Junk to Inbox still arrive in Junk.

When I get an email to confirm 'who I am' from say MINT it too goes to Junk. I have moved it every time to Inbox.

Thats just 2 of about 6 that regularly appear in Junk that are not Junk & I always move to my Inbox. It seems its not 'learning'.

The only rule I have set in prefs is : if a message contains "send $" put it in Junk.

Aug 5, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Howker

…no matter how often I move them from Junk to Inbox still arrive in Junk.

Moving email from Junk to Inbox does not teach Mail that they aren't Junk. If it marks it as Junk (as indicated by the brown background color), then you can click the button to mark it as Not Junk and Mail may learn not to move it.

However, I imagine it is not being marked as Junk by Mail but by your email provider (which I guess is iCloud). You must log into their email web portal and mark the messages as Not Junk so it can learn. iCloud does not sync Junk learning between your Mail program and the iCloud server.

You can see if the messages were marked as Junk by Mail because they are brown in color and have a little trash bag next to the subject.

how do I mark an email NOT JUNK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.