Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BBC iplayer does not AirPlay to Apple TV since recent iOS upgrade 9.3.3. I have been using 2 iPads and 2 iPhones to do this for at least two years but now any non-mirrored content from BBC iplayer crashes the Apple TV.. Netflix still works!

I have used AirPlay to Apple TV from Macs, iPads and iPhones with no problem for some time. Recently, just after updating to iOS 9.3.3, BBC iPlayer will not AirPlay without mirroring. If unmirrored, content crashes as soon as streaming starts. All settings are correct for the network and devices. Everything is up to date with latest versions. Other media like Netflix and Filmon still AirPlay perfectly so I suspect a conflict between BBC iplayer (which hasn't had an update for several weeks) and iOS 9.3.3 (which was updated just a few days ago and coincides with the start of the problem). Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, found a fix?

Thanks,

John

Equipment is: Apple TV gen 3, iPad Air, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iMac 21, MacBook Air 13, Wifi lan 12+ MBPS.

Apple TV, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 7:46 AM

No, I'm unable to repeat your experience, your issues appear to be unique to you and your set up.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device or computer.

If you are still having problems, try using 802.11n for wifi if you are currently using either 802.11b or 802.11g.

If your problem is AirPlaying from a computer, try disabling bluetooth

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned onthis page helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2016 7:46 AM in response to Iamjdb

No, I'm unable to repeat your experience, your issues appear to be unique to you and your set up.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device or computer.

If you are still having problems, try using 802.11n for wifi if you are currently using either 802.11b or 802.11g.

If your problem is AirPlaying from a computer, try disabling bluetooth

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned onthis page helpful.

Aug 5, 2016 8:09 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi Winston (really?!),

Solved!

Very helpful, thanks, and led me to check DNS compatibility. I use a proxy server when travelling so as to get BBC iPlayer, requiring a specific DNS. Recently Netflix blocked proxy servers so I had reverted the Apple TV to its default DNS to access regional content. Of course, this then confused the iPlayer so I can't have both running through AirPlay correctly in any location except UK (without re-entering the DNS settings each time). I can easily work around this by running Netflix from my MB Air plugged into any TV - and watching BBC catch-up on AirPlay from an iPad with the proxy server DNS.

If anyone has similar problems with live BBC and other UK media I would recommend Filmon which gives free access to hundreds of channels internationally with seemingly no restrictions. (No catch-up but you can record programmes for a monthly fee.)

Thanks again for your suggestion.

John

BBC iplayer does not AirPlay to Apple TV since recent iOS upgrade 9.3.3. I have been using 2 iPads and 2 iPhones to do this for at least two years but now any non-mirrored content from BBC iplayer crashes the Apple TV.. Netflix still works!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.