You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

powerbook G3 battery

Guys I need some help. There are several sellers on eBay, but nowhere it says it is compatible with my powerbook, which is PDQ (wallstreet?) 300mhz. All I got it is compatible with 1998 model, which my powerbook is. I just don't want to waste money if it doesn't fit there. Can anybody help me with that? There is a list of that batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=powerbook+G3+1998+battery &_sop=15

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , PowerBook G3 300 MacOS 9.2.2+10.2.8

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 12:12 PM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2016 12:34 PM in response to KeyReel Fiddler

Those batteries have not been manufactured for a VERY Long time. Even if you find one the is truly New In the Box, it has sat on a shelf for well over a decade. So even that one may not serve you well (I have had problems with my PB Pismo M7318 battery after about a year of installation and NEVER running my Mac UNplugged from the AC Adapter)

Our friend here Allan Jones has experience with several WallStreets... I'll give him a heads up.

Aug 5, 2016 1:14 PM in response to KeyReel Fiddler

If you have more than one failed old battery whose case is in fine condition,

you may be able to take the item to a battery rebuilding service (or ask one

in advance of any travels) and have them quote a price to install new cells.

And if you cannot find a company who will do this relatively low-tech task,

it may be possible to correctly match new replacement cells, and DIY.

(Be aware that many rechargeable cells do not like excess heat; so where

a solder point may exist, consider low-heat solder & learning how to DIY)

Several electronics serving repair outlets have the ability (and different types

of replacement cells for rechargeable battery technologies) to do this. Since

the cases are generally not so user-serviceable, the issue with opening up

an old original Apple portable battery may (or may not) be of concern.

A carefully opened battery case could have the original battery cells inside

matched to new replacements, checked over, and carefully re-sealed.

For older antique products, this may be something to consider.

Good luck in your quest. ~ Perhaps think of it as an adventure...! 🙂

Aug 5, 2016 10:24 PM in response to KeyReel Fiddler

I bought three of these from this firm some years ago for a friend who has a ménage á trois of Wallstreets. They worked as well as orignal Apple batteries and are alleged to be newly manufactured:

http://www.global-batteries.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_12/products_id/9596

Note: at least one of the Wallstreets I maintained for him would not recognize any battery until I replaced its PRAM battery. Unfortunately, sources of new Wallstreet PRAM batteries now seem to have evaporated.

Aug 6, 2016 12:09 AM in response to KeyReel Fiddler

Well, I don't have any battery. I got it without any battery. it was sold as is but it works good. sometimes it boots without LED for some reason in 10.2.8 (do not have this problem with 9.2.2), but when I press brightness button it came back. Weird bug.

Well, if that batteries works good, probably I'll order it. Thank you all guys and Allan for the link.

Aug 6, 2016 7:19 AM in response to KeyReel Fiddler

That brightness issue could portend a dead PRAM battery. Wallstreets can go off-planet with their symptoms when a PRAM battery is dead. They go beyond the old "lost date and time" to rather exotic fantasies like not recognizing the main battery that I mentioned above. Another of my friend's three would not boot from a valid Appl installs disk when its PRAM battery died but would boot from third-party system dusks like TechTools. Like I said, exotic.

An old trick regarding the PRAM battery with PowerBooks of this vintage is that the PRAM battery appears to be rechargeable. Turn the computer off while it is on the charge and leave it alone for 24-48 hours. Sometimes that can pump a little charge back into the PRAM battery. Remember that once you get a new main battery, most (not all) the PRAM battery issues usually go away, so the brightness itssue may resolve.

Are you aware that a Wallstreet can use two main batteries? If you detach the optical drive unit from the right drive bay, you can install a second main battery there for roughly double the runtime.

powerbook G3 battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.