Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 - iOS 9.3.4 Battery issue

Hello.

I own an iPhone 6 currently running iOS 9.3.4. I have been facing a critical issue with my battery ever since iOS 9.3.2 first came out.

The device is shutting down on its own as if it had no power left on its battery, even known the battery still have 30 to 40% of power left. Whenever it reaches anything below 50% on the battery indicator, it will automatically die and display that "iPhone must charge" sign, the device will not turn on again unless I plug it in on a power cable and then it will turn on and display the same amount of battery that it was display before shutting off.

The issue started all of a sudden as soon as I upgraded from iOS 9.3.1 to iOS 9.3.2 and it has been going on ever since. I upgraded to iOS 9.3.3 hoping Apple will have it fixed and again yesterday when upgrading to iOS 9.3.4 but it is still happenning.

I have tried everything I possibly could: Booting the device, restarting the device, restoring using a previous backup, restoring without any backup from both iTunes and the device itself.

I was finally starting to believe it was a issue with my hardware but it was not likely to be that as the issue started all of a sudden and I also found many topics on internet forums of other users claiming to have the exact same issue.

I took a whole day last week to take the device to a Apple store, via Genius Bar. The Apple employee ran two tests on my device, one for the battery and the other for its mother board. He then told me my device was completely fine, both the battery and the board were diagnosed to be ok. He then told me that they had just received a email from Apple saying that iOS 9.3.3 had this issue and it was a bug and the users should wait for the next update to have it fixed. That's what I did but yesterday iOS 9.3.4 came out and the issue remains happening to me.

I have no warranty anymore so I don't know what to do. Apple won't confirm this issue and I am not starting to doubt what the Apple employee told me about receiving a e-mail from Apple regarding this iOS bug.

Does anyone know what else I can do? I just want my device to work as it should.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 12:57 PM

Please check this article for suggestions, particularly turning off Background App Refresh.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Also try downloading the app Battery Life which is available for free from the App Store. Test the battery with it and if defective, go back to the Apple Store and show them.

13 replies

Aug 5, 2016 1:02 PM in response to elcpu

I've already turned off background apps refresh. It did not help.

The problem is not my battery as it is lasting fine until reaching 40% and making the decide turn off.

I've also tried to use this battery life app and it is not trustworthy as it display different results every time I try it. I also showed it to the Apple employe and he told me that only Apple could test the battery for real as there are no apps with full access to the battery.

Thanks for your reply but I have already tried your suggestions. Is there anything else I could do? If that's a real bug, how long will it take for Apple to confirm it and fix it?

Aug 5, 2016 1:11 PM in response to dexterholland21

Well, let me take each one, one by one.

Batteries no longer require calibration but the battery gauge may. Check the method here by Lawrence Finch:

iPhone 5 shutting down with 20% battery life left

Battery LIfe is very reliable. Yes the method used by the Apple Store is usually better but it is a one time shot. The fact that B.L. is not consistent indicates an issue to me. I have it on 2 iOS devices, consistent here.

I am on this forum everyday and I have not seen any unusual traffic on this. I have 4 iOS devices in total, no issues here. So I would not wait for a fix, it may not come.

As far as other suggestions, if you have done a System Restore as New, there is nothing left to try. Sorry.

Aug 5, 2016 2:11 PM in response to elcpu

Once again, thanks for the help.

I also tried to calibrate the battery but I might have done it incorrectly as I could never reach the 1% level because the device keeps shutting itself off before that and when I try to restart it, it will shutt off before the battery indicator even appears. I'll try again using this method you referred to.

I still don't think Battery Life is reliable because of what the Apple employee told me and because the different results I get on it. Also, I tried a few days ago to measure the battery capacity on time so I charged the device and when it was fully charged I had the device playing videos with the speaker on the loudest with wifi and bluetooth turned on just to see how long the battery would last when using the device at its fullest and the battery lasted for almost two hours before shuttind down. As far as my own perception goes, that's pretty good for a battery and that makes me think it is not a worn out battery issue.

When I took it to Apple, I was willing to pay them to change my battery but the employee said that Apple could only replace batteries when they reach 60% or below out of its original capacity and my battery was 83% according to their test.

Let me ask you one thing, please. Even if the battery needs replacement, that means the battery would not be able tl hold power and its power level would decrease quick but it will still reach 1% at one point, right? It's one thing for the battery not to be able to hold power for too long and it is another thing for the device to think it has no power left when there's still plenty of power left in the battery. It would also be a third theory for the battery indicator to be messed up and display 40% when it actually has no power left (however I don't believe this could be because the indicator dicreases normally from 100% down to 40% before shutting down).

So, out of these three scenarios, don't you agree it is more likely to be a iOS bug causing the device to misread the power left on the battery?

Aug 5, 2016 2:25 PM in response to dexterholland21

I Have the same issue with iphone 5. And its since IOS 9.3.2 and today

AM on IOS 9.3.4 and still have the battrey issue . Pluse siri proplem.

. Its only work on blutooth headset .

there is a topic about same proplem in other discussion from other users

and all the asuggeation of turn background refresh , charge phone till 100% and dont

dont blug it into charging till the battrey die, (so the system can massure which app eactly

use amount of the battrey...etc. its all didnt work. ( not with me or other users).

IN my opnion . If you not under warranty then ... You have to choice than deal with lime that

& If u still have warranty . Do imdiatily inform apple about the proplem. Because its seems like hardwear, or refubrahed

Parts inside the phone are not orginal.

Aug 5, 2016 2:52 PM in response to dexterholland21

dexterholland21 wrote:

Let me ask you one thing, please. Even if the battery needs replacement, that means the battery would not be able tl hold power and its power level would decrease quick but it will still reach 1% at one point, right? It's one thing for the battery not to be able to hold power for too long and it is another thing for the device to think it has no power left when there's still plenty of power left in the battery. It would also be a third theory for the battery indicator to be messed up and display 40% when it actually has no power left (however I don't believe this could be because the indicator dicreases normally from 100% down to 40% before shutting down).

So, out of these three scenarios, don't you agree it is more likely to be a iOS bug causing the device to misread the power left on the battery?

I am not going to argue. You can believe as you wish about Battery Life or a bug. FWIW, the high level members here all like it, I have yet to hear anyone say otherwise in this forum. And no, I don't have any connection to the developer, I am just a user, nothing more.

I have been told that Apple replaces batteries at 80%, not 60. Maybe the policy has changed but I don't think so.

Yes, the battery should continue discharging to very low levels down to a few percentage. They do on all my devices.

And no, TMK there is no bug. There are millions of iPhones on the market (in fact over 1 billion have been sold) and if there was a bug many many of those millions would be complaining but they are not, just a few. And yes, every time a user has a problem "bug" is always their first choice.

You have not even tried the calibration process I suggested, your choice again. And after doing a System Restore as New there is nothing left to try. And no, none of my 4 iOS devices have this "bug".

I have nothing else to offer.

Aug 17, 2016 6:43 AM in response to dexterholland21

I have the same issue. I believe it's been happening since the 9.3.2 upgrade. My wife's phone has the same issue. iOS 9.3.4 did nothing. It's very frustrating. I have tried everything ranging from stopping all apps from refreshing, to rebooting once a day. The issue is not the user or the physical hardware. Reading these forum replies only irritate me more. We are not dumb. STOP PUTTING UP THESE DUMB HACKS ABOUT HOW TO MAXIMIZE BATTERY LIFE! We are doing that! You have an issue with your iOS! Haven't you notice the uptick in reported battery issues? My simple search has lead me to thousands of results. Listen to your customers.

Why should we, the users, change my viewing habits to amend issues cause by Apple's bad iOS upgrades? If I didn't have issues before, shouldn't the responsibility lie on the side of the software? Just a reminder, YOU ARE A TRILLION DOLLAR COMPANY! You can fix it.

The Amount of software issues the Apple iOS has since the Iphone 6 came out has me really contemplating a change. I suspect I am not the only one.

Does Apple even test anymore? It's like their developers work in silo's. I work in software development and this is usually what happens. Apple "fixes" one thing but breaks something else.

Sep 1, 2016 12:20 AM in response to dexterholland21

Same here, I'm on 6s and going through same routine as you did, exact same feedback from apple support, they hold my phone for about a week, and told me hardware is fine for both motherboard and battery, keep blaming the issue is on software. They expect users are all stupid and wait for the next and the next and the next ios update until your warranty ran out. End of story. Get new one.

I still have a little luck with few months warranty left. Not sure if i should sell it off as soon as possible and jump to another new phone with another year of warranty to gambling on.

Can't expect much from apple support nowadays as they only able to advise on reboot, reset, update firmware WHICH we all already know.

Iphone 6 - iOS 9.3.4 Battery issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.