Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging while using my iPhone bad

Ok, so at work I charge my phone and play music. I recently heard that using your phone while charging is bad for the battery. At home I charge my phone and surf the web or whatever. Is it a bad thing or not? Thank you for your input and support!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 10:45 PM

9 replies

Aug 5, 2016 11:26 PM in response to PokeTrainerLandon

Also this has been my first time trying to assist people on forums, so if you have feedback that can help me improve the quality and usefulness of my input I would greatly appreciate it. Any positive comments on things I did well in I would also enjoy and be great full for so I can carry the same traits onto the next person in seek of assistance.

Thank you;

Landon P Johnson

US Army Veteran

Aug 5, 2016 11:15 PM in response to Eitaknella

Hello Eitaknella, I believe I will be able to help answer your question and concern! It isn't necessarily good for your battery as it puts a strain on from trying to charge and draining at the same time. However, I tend to do the same thing. I have had my iPhone 6S for almost a month or so now and I haven't seen a noticeable difference in my battery, as far as the life of charge nor the rate at which it charges. Although the effects may not be noticabl immediatley, it will put extra wear and tear on the battery.

It can also cause the battery to rise to unhealthy temperature, depending on how demanding the phone use it to the processor and graphics card, which can possibly rupture the internal cells of the Li-On battery which can cause it to be greatly damage and perhaps ruined. So to make a explanation brief, I wouldn't recommend it, but also see it as a compromise to consider. I believe the inconvenience of not using a phone while charging is a large hurdle to overcome, especially since I am always using my phone throughoit everyday.

Hopefully I have helped answer the questions you had in depth and helped you conclude a decision on how to handle and care for the life of your iPhone internal Li-On battery!

Here is a link to an article on the topic you have questions about in addition to my personal opinion as well the information I have provided. The knowledge I have gained has been acquired through being a 94E(Radio ComSec Repair Technician) in the U.S. Army as well as a certified Direct Current Electrician, with approximately 5 years of experiance in that trade.

With Concern and Sincerity;

Landon P Johnson

US Army Veteran

Aug 6, 2016 11:52 AM in response to PokeTrainerLandon

PokeTrainerLandon wrote:

\It isn't necessarily good for your battery as it puts a strain on from trying to charge and draining at the same time.

It's good to see you are trying to be helpful, but when you post wrong and misleading information like the above you are doing users a disservice.

If anything, using the phone while charging is BETTER for the battery, because the current provided by the charger runs the phone, reducing the demand on the battery.

Batteries do not have separate inputs and outputs. There is only one set of connections that are used for both input and output. If current is being supplied from outside it goes into the battery through the connection; if no current is being supplied current flows out through those connections. If you are using the phone while charging the app(s) using power get it from the charger, thus reducing or eliminating the demand on the battery. If the input source can supply more current than the apps demand (which is usually the case) the apps get their share, and the balance goes to charge the battery at a lower rate than would be the case if you weren't using the phone. The slower charging rate keeps the temperature of the battery lower.

Using external power also reduces the number of charge cycles for the battery; the life of a battery is determined primarily by the number of charge cycles. So connecting to power while using the phone will provide better long term battery life than discharging the battery when using the phone, then charging it again.

Charging while using my iPhone bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.