Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad randomly opens and cannot capitalise r

Launchpad randomly opens and cannot capitalise r .. so weird and very frustrating

Using iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

I have no Hot Corners activated

I have no keyboard shortcuts set up.

Keyboard shortcuts reset to default values
I have removed Launchpad from the dock
Launchpad randomly opens even without me touching the keyboard or mouse.

I borrowed a friends iMac wireless keyboard but the same problem persists.

I have set up another admin user account and the problem persists.

I am totally out of ideas!
Cheers Liam

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 8:20 PM

3 replies

Aug 6, 2016 2:35 PM in response to liamfrombali

Hello liamfrombali,

If your Launchpad is launching on it's own and you've already tried a different keyboard. Also testing the issue in a new user account, then there could be a few reasons this maybe occurring. The first thing that jumps out at me is there maybe a download for an app pending or prompting you with the launchpad. If this is not the case, there could be an Automator script running that allows the Launchpad to open on it's own. Since you've done a great job with normal troubleshooting, I would suggest to perform an archive and reinstall of OS X to resolve the issue. This will not erase any data from your Mac at all. Please review the link below for the steps and don't use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive since that would remove your data.

How to reinstall OS X

This should have your Launchpad performing as expected. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities for assistance. Have a great day.

Cheers.

Launchpad randomly opens and cannot capitalise r

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.