You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

genius results can't be updated right now. an unknown error occurred (5002)

I recently have been getting this annoying message when I open up iTunes on my Mac "genius results can't be updated right now. an unknown error occurred (5002)". After I sign in, on the top right corner of the iTunes page, where there usually is a symbol for downloading, there is now an exclamation point and when i go to it, it gives me the same message under the title of "iCloud Music Library".

How do i fix this? I have looked through forums and all over the internet and still haven't found a solution.

I have tried restarting iTunes, restarting the computer, i have even officially changed my email address and updated my payment methods and double checked my address. everything seems to be okay. this all happened all of a sudden.

Running iTunes 12.4.3.1

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 6, 2016 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2016 11:54 AM

Error 5002 indicates a problem connecting to the iTunes Store.

See this article for assistance. My guess is you either have a firewall or keychain issue:

If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store - Apple Support

5 replies

genius results can't be updated right now. an unknown error occurred (5002)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.