Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes upon launching. Immediately.

Safari 9.1.2

Had been working without issues for years. I did not install any new extensions.

• Tried a restart

• Tried to launch Safari by holding SHIFT with the dock icon

• Can't keep Safari open long enough to open Preferences or any menu options

• There are no pages open.

• I have deleted the plist file

• I have deleted the cache/history

When this began on Friday, it wasn't quite an immediate crash. I had been getting error messages from a site about a 'flash movie loading slowly,' and 'advice' online suggested that i uninstall and reinstall Flash. Which i did. And, since then, the crashes are virtually instantaneous at the launch of the app.

Ridiculous that i can't just delete and reinstall Safari alone, and i'd rather not have to reinstall the entire OS.

Any other options?

iMac 72, late 2012

3.4GHz i7

16GB RAM

El Capitan 10.11.6

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 7, 2016 4:00 PM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2017 4:22 PM in response to derek stanton

Hi,

Please try this option first before the other options since it is the least invasive approach.

I called support.

The tech asked me to hold down the shift key while opening Safari. This allowed Safari to open without opening any windows/sites that were open when the crash happened. He then asked me to clear my history.

The tech mentioned that there may have been a site or some of the sites causing the problem.

This worked for me. Now I have to go back and restore some of the changes I made based on the other answers.

good luck

John

Mobile Applicability Inc Apps on the App Store

Aug 7, 2016 4:46 PM in response to derek stanton

Adware may be installed on your Mac without your knowledge.

How to remove adware?

You will have t do this after starting up in Safe Mode to prevent adware

from interfering with the removal of adware .

1. Shut down the computer.

Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup sound,

press and hold the Shift key.

The Shift key should be pressed as soon as possible after startup,

but not before the startup sound.

Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo on the screen.

Startup will take longer than usual.

Screen flickering is normal in Safe Mode.

Login to your account. Launch Safari.

Enter this address https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

in the Safari address bar.

Download, Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan” button to remove adware, if present.

Once done, quit MalwareBytes.

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extensions off.

3. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

4. Safari > Preferences > General > Homepage:

Set your Homepage.

5. Restart normally from  menu in the menu bar.

Aug 7, 2016 4:52 PM in response to dominic23

Thank you.

I may have fixed the problem before i saw your reply, though. Not sure what the answer was, though.

I re-re-installed Flash. I changed something in my Java settings. And, then, most likely the culprit, after i did both of those things, i was able to keep Safari open for a couple of seconds before it crashed, and i noticed that one web page was consistently opening, even though i closed it and cleared history before Safari crashed again. That page opened about five times with each new re-launching of Safari, even after it had been closed before the previous crash and relaunch. I finally got it closed for good, and deleted history again, and now Safari seems to be running again.

I've been using that site, though, for months, every day, without a problem....

Aug 7, 2016 5:00 PM in response to derek stanton

Hi Derek.

Most of the times the issue could be due to Safari Extension, Internet plug-in, or other add-on. To troubleshoot this issue, turn off Safari Extensions. To do so, open Preferences from Safari Menu. Then click Extension icon, and deselect Enable checkbox to turn off that extension. If doing this doesn't work, then try removing Internet plug-ins and other add-ons. To know more about it, please see the article below. It is from Apple website.

If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

If you still face the same issue, please let us know.

Thank you.

Aug 7, 2016 5:28 PM in response to aarif2r

Thanks.

I was unable to access the extensions through the Safari panel, because it literally Crashed/quit within a second of launching.

But, even if i could manually remove extensions from an app folder or some such, is there a reason why a site i've been using daily for months would suddenly have a problem with an extension i've also had for months? I haven't installed anything new and i've been using this site daily for hours at a time.

Aug 7, 2016 5:49 PM in response to derek stanton

Okay, so i was wrong. Problem NOT solved. It had remained open and working for ten minutes or so, but then crashed when i accessed a completely different site. I had not tried to revisit the page i thought had been problematic.

So, i tried to disable all extensions, and when i clicked the disable box for an Ad Blocker, my cursor froze. System froze. Then, the entire computer shut down! Ugggh.

So, now i'm back up, and i disabled all Safari extensions, and we'll see how long this works....

Aug 8, 2016 6:49 AM in response to derek stanton

If the problem comes back,

Safari 9

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Aug 8, 2016 10:28 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi, Eric.

No dice. Safari quit even as i quickly tried to empty caches in the develop menu. I was able to select that command a few times, but i'm never sure if that has been completed by the time Safari crashes again. So, i tried it a few times, then moved on to the next step, but Safari continues to quit at each step. After all steps were completed, the problem persists, although i was able to keep it open long enough to 'test' read an article or two.

Thanks for trying!

Safari crashes upon launching. Immediately.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.