4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2007 2:06 AM by Christian Fessel
macmiles Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Just started working with iphoto and have an external disk loaded with high resolution jpegs. I've imported these photo's as links which works great when the external drive is on but I typcially don't leave it running. When I'm in iPhoto with the drive off and I touch a folder with an album containing a linked photo iPhoto will start sending me the "The Volume for "photo" cannot be found" dialogs. I have hundreds of photos stored in the external hd and for each photo I get a dialog which I have to cancel to remove. Is there a way to tell iPhoto to simply ignore the photo if the volume is not mounted instead of issuing the warning?

When I attempt to share this library with the external drive off the remote computer just sits there spinning the color wheel until I turn the drive on. I can make this work by placing the ext hd album in the do-no-share list but I would rather allow the sharing.

iMac Duo 2, Mac OS X (10.4.8)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (131,525 points)
    Macmiles

Is there a way to tell iPhoto to simply ignore the photo if the volume is not mounted instead of issuing the warning?

No. And no again for the question about sharing, The catch is that you're describing a desire to share (or view) thumbnails, whereas iPhoto is preparing for you to share (or view) the files the thumbnails represent.

A workaround using aliases might be possoble. O.T. describes an alias-based library which might help. Check out:

http://homepage.mac.com/toad.hall/.Pictures/Forum/Tutorials/tutorial2.html

Regards

TD
  • Christian Fessel Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
    Hmmm, that's sad.

I have almost the same situation here.
    I would even be satisfied if iPhoto would just show me the small preview (those previews are there as I see all pics, it's only when I touch one that the warning comes up).

Guess I shall file a request.
    chris

Macbook Pro 17" 2.33 C2D Glossy + Various Powerbooks   Mac OS X (10.4.8)   Software always current (exept for AE Base station Firmware 5.5.1)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (123,270 points)
    Chris:

I'm able to open rolls and view the thumbnails without getting the warning. If I try to move the thumbnail or double click on it is when I get the warning. Make sure you're not double clicking on it instead of just a single click. You might have to adjust the keyboard response - or the track pad response. That may be your problem. If you can attach a mouse to test do so and see if you can select a thumbnail without getting the warning window.

Note: Although you didn't mention it, I found that if I have video/movie files in the library it will give me the warning while launching and won't launch until the file are back on line. So keep those files in a different library.
    Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.

I've written an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.
  • Christian Fessel Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
    If I try to move the
    thumbnail or double click on it is when I get the
    warning. Make sure you're not double clicking on it
    instead of just a single click.

Old Toad,

that is exactly what bothers me.
    OK, so I somehow lost the original and I can't replace it from backup either.
    But why can't iPhoto simply show the (more or less heavily pixilated) preview instead of the warning and the gray window ?

As said, it's likely something to write a feedback report on.
    Thanks anyway,
    chris

Macbook Pro 17" 2.33 C2D Glossy + Various Powerbooks   Mac OS X (10.4.8)   Software always current (exept for AE Base station Firmware 5.5.1)