Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme not showing up in Airport Utility

Airport Extreme is connected to the internet but won’t show up in Airport Utility (see picture below).

My home network consists of the following:

Comcast Arris TM722 Cable Modem

• Airport Utility used to display an ip address from Comcast that ends in .1
  • Now it displays 10.0.xx.1 and is connected to the internet, however the ip address is really the same old Comcast ip address ending in .1

Airport Extreme Office ver 7.7.7 (primary - dhcp) - has an ip address from Com

Airport Utility used to display an ip address from Comcast that ends in .xxx and an internal ip of 10.0.xx.1, however the ip address is really the same old Comcast ip address ending in .xxx and an internal ip of 10.0.xx.1

Airport Extreme Living Room ver 7.7.7 (bridged)

Airport Utility used to display Internal ip address ending in .2 (static)

Airport Express Patio ver 7.7.6 (bridged)

Aport Utility still displays an internal ip ending in .3 (static)

All computers have the following:

MacOS ver 10.11.6

Airport Utility ver 6.3.6

Issue: Neither Airport Extreme shows up in Airport utility (both are grayed out with the yellow triangle ! icon), the Airport Express shows up fine. All was working as it should up until yesterday, I haven’t changed anything. I do run a vpn client on one of my Macs from time to time.

I can access either one of the Extremes by using the “Configure Other” option under Airport Utility’s File menu.

Wireless and internet are working as they should, the usb drives attached to Extreme 01 are accessible.

Things I’ve tried (based on reading support articles I’ve found from 2013 to present):

Cycling power on everything.

Does nothing.

Soft resetting everything.

Does nothing.

Hard resetting everything.

Does nothing.

Setting the Extremes to default and reconfiguring them.

Does nothing.

Setting “Configure IPv6” to Link-Local only on both Extremes.

Does nothing.

Enabling the Guest Network

Makes the Extremes show up, but only one at a time, not both.

I’m completely baffled and looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 11, 2016 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 6:30 AM

Okay, BTMM is not configured any where on my systems. Nor is it configured in the TC. But my local computer, connected to the TC by CAT5, cannot see the TC in the Airport Utility.

If I power the TC down and then back in, it sees it for a time.

All TM functionality works as well as router and WiFi, just can't configure it. Not even entering the IP address/Password works.

Thoughts?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2017 6:30 AM in response to bmc5311

Okay, BTMM is not configured any where on my systems. Nor is it configured in the TC. But my local computer, connected to the TC by CAT5, cannot see the TC in the Airport Utility.

If I power the TC down and then back in, it sees it for a time.

All TM functionality works as well as router and WiFi, just can't configure it. Not even entering the IP address/Password works.

Thoughts?

Aug 13, 2016 4:26 AM in response to bmc5311

This is caused by activating Back to my Mac on the Airport Extremes, so basically it's an iCloud problem.

The fix in this thread from Mac Rumors -

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airport-utility-does-not-see-airport-extreme -but.1987777/#post-23234030

IN. Nutshell, turn off Back to my Mac on your Airport Extreame (or time capsule).

We will need to wait for Apple to correct this.

Aug 20, 2016 5:39 AM in response to bmc5311

I followed the advice given in the Mac Rumors thread and my Airport Extreme was again found by Airport Utility. After waiting a while to make sure it didn't go away I turned Back to My Mac back on. Everything has been working fine for over 24 hrs. Recently, I had updated my iCloud password because Apple demanded a more secure password to sign in online. I'm wondering if this caused this glitch?

Aug 27, 2016 6:28 AM in response to bmc5311

This may be temporary but ...

Had the same problem, and followed the link to macrumors. Went into Airport Utility to remove BTMM per the macrumors comments. My BTMM setting was showing green, so clicked [Edit] before deleting the setting. BTMM / iCloud asked for my password again, so signed in. Following this AirPort Extreme reappeared in Airport Utility both on my Mac and on my iPad.

May not be necessary to remove BTMM completely, try signing in again first and see how that goes.

Airport Extreme not showing up in Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.