Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photostream not working windows 10

This is an ongoing problem that I have been having for a few years but it seems to be getting worse.

I have iCloud Photostream set up & it works fine between my iPhone 6 & iPad mini, both are on the latest IOS.

I also have iCloud set up on my work PC which is running Windows 10, this is very useful for me as it means if I carry out a site survey, the photos are on my PC shortly after logging in. However I am finding the photos often do not download to the PC.

I had found a previous post on here that suggests ending the processes from Task Manager then deleting the local Cache of the synced files, re logging into iCloud on the PC which should then re start the image download.

This seems to work in most occasions but only seems to last a few days or so although today I can’t seem to get it to work.

Is there a proper fix for this?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 2:11 AM

12 replies

Dec 26, 2017 3:13 PM in response to AndygT9

Ha! Over a year since the previous post and we're now on iCloud for Windows v7.2 and the photos still don't download. As with other users, clearing the cache works for a while, but then no more downloads occur. Clearly, Apple aren't serious about getting this to work on Windows 10 (and I had the same problems on Windows 7 and Windows 8, so it's not a Win 10 problem per se) and it's been going on for many years. Guys, it's not going to prompt me to go out and buy a Mac instead, you know, so could you please try to get this to work? I'd guess that many more of your iPhone users have PCs than Macs, so maybe it would be a good idea?

Feb 26, 2018 12:31 PM in response to AL71B

"I cant believe after all these years Apple has done nothing to fix it ..."

I can - it's not an Apple device so they don't give a d*mn. Or prove me wrong, someone?

Since my post in December 2017, the iCloud for Windows version has gone up to v7.3. I have bought a new PC (note, PC, not a Mac, surprising, incomprehensible and shocking though that be). Guess what? iCloud photos for windows still doesn't download the photostream on to the new PC. At all. Now tell me Apple gives a ****, which is a pity since I am a keen iPhone and iPad user, but it looks like unless you go all-in with Apple, they don't care - they can't even be ar$ed to look at this forum or similar ones and try to resolve their users' issues.

Feb 28, 2018 1:45 AM in response to wilf21

I gave up with iCloud for Windows. I couldn't make Outlook integration work, the iCloud Photo library or the bookmark syncing. I just used OneDrive and did the automatic upload to get it to the PC. Works fine.

These days, with Dropbox, Amazon Prime Photo and Onedrive offering similar things - if your mainly PC based doesnt make sense to rely on the Photos syncing. Also, good to have a backup in a secondary service if you do still backup to iCloud as you never know what might happen, including accidental deletion or lockout of iCloud account.

Aug 12, 2016 3:05 AM in response to d5aul

I have had general problems with Photo Stream on windows 10. I found that forcing a download of the library and waiting for the entire library to download did help. There is a "Download Library" button in the iCloud Control panel. You can check the status by clicking on the iCloud icon by the clock. Depending on what settings you have selected. Can find that in the control panel and press options button next to the Photos and the button is at the bottom.

User uploaded file

I personally find it easier to use icloud.com and download the photos I need from there. Is quite fast and interface is good for previewing. Also means that if I have alot of photos and need 2 or 3, dont need to wait for them all to download. Im always a bit wary of playing about with caches incase iCloud thinks I have deleted them and I loose them in the cloud and it removes from devices.

Aug 12, 2016 3:33 AM in response to d5aul

Do you have Download Photos when right clicking on the iCloud System Tray icon??

When you saved the options, did you apply it on the main iCloud Control panel screen as well, close and go back in? I know iCloud is a little funny when it saves the settings. Dont think just pressing OK and going back into Photos Options will actually save the change.

Nov 15, 2016 8:29 AM in response to d5aul

I have the identical problem, was working and then stopped for no apparent reason.

I noticed that shared photos seem to work ok.

So I have created a 'me' only photostream, which seems to work, but obviously, you have to post to that stream.

This problem has been going on for years and Apple need to sort it out.

icloud photostream not working windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.