Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule not showing but WIFI connection working

Hello

I have a Time Capsule 2gig that is used as the main WIFI router, connected to my normal router via Ethernet and a Airport Extreme used as extender. Up till today everything was working fine.

Now, when I open Airport Utility to view the connection, it shows me that the TC and AE are not registered anymore (device not found). But I can still access the Wifi and internet via the Networks I created, but not the backup.

I unplugged the TC and AE, replugged them, reset them and then the connection worked.

But now it is off again.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Regards

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 11:08 AM

Unfortunately, this issue is not new and has been reported a number of time since OS X Mavericks.

The AirPort Utility relies on both the mDNS (aka, Bonjour) & the IPv6 IP protocols to find an AirPort base station.

When having difficulties accessing the AirPort thru the AirPort Utility, try the following, in order, checking for accessibility with the utility after each step:

• Check the local connection. If you are trying to access the AirPort wirelessly, make sure that you are connected to its wireless network before running the AirPort Utility to administer it. If you are still unable to access it with the utility, temporarily connect your computer directly using an Ethernet cable to one of the base station's LAN ports.
  • Try accessing the base station by using the Utility's File > Configure Other… option. Then enter the LAN-side base station IP address (the default is: 10.0.1.1) and base station's administrator's password.
  • Verify that both the base station and your computer are configured for IPv6 Link-local only.

For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet > Advanced > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6: Link-local only

For the AirPort base station:
    Note: You may need to temporarily connect your Mac or PC directly to the base station by Ethernet to access it.

• From a Mac: AirPort Utility > Select the base station > Edit > Internet tab > Internet Options… > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
  • From an iOS device: AirPort Utility > Tap on the base station > Tap on Edit > Tap on Advanced > Tap on IPv6 > Change Configure IPv6 to: Link-local only > Tap on Done
  • Power cycle the base station. Remove the power adapter's plug from the power outlet, and then, wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
  • Perform a "factory default" reset on the base station.
  • Finally, if you are attempting to access the AirPort via an Ethernet connection, be sure that your Ethernet port is NOT configured for Jumbo Frames, i.e., using an MTU of 9000+.
24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2016 11:08 AM in response to PikScrum

Unfortunately, this issue is not new and has been reported a number of time since OS X Mavericks.

The AirPort Utility relies on both the mDNS (aka, Bonjour) & the IPv6 IP protocols to find an AirPort base station.

When having difficulties accessing the AirPort thru the AirPort Utility, try the following, in order, checking for accessibility with the utility after each step:

• Check the local connection. If you are trying to access the AirPort wirelessly, make sure that you are connected to its wireless network before running the AirPort Utility to administer it. If you are still unable to access it with the utility, temporarily connect your computer directly using an Ethernet cable to one of the base station's LAN ports.
  • Try accessing the base station by using the Utility's File > Configure Other… option. Then enter the LAN-side base station IP address (the default is: 10.0.1.1) and base station's administrator's password.
  • Verify that both the base station and your computer are configured for IPv6 Link-local only.

For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet > Advanced > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6: Link-local only

Note: You may need to temporarily connect your Mac or PC directly to the base station by Ethernet to access it.

• From a Mac: AirPort Utility > Select the base station > Edit > Internet tab > Internet Options… > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
  • From an iOS device: AirPort Utility > Tap on the base station > Tap on Edit > Tap on Advanced > Tap on IPv6 > Change Configure IPv6 to: Link-local only > Tap on Done
  • Power cycle the base station. Remove the power adapter's plug from the power outlet, and then, wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
  • Perform a "factory default" reset on the base station.
  • Finally, if you are attempting to access the AirPort via an Ethernet connection, be sure that your Ethernet port is NOT configured for Jumbo Frames, i.e., using an MTU of 9000+.

Aug 12, 2016 11:10 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have done a factory reset and recreated the network. The Airport TC appeared, but then as soon as I do an update it disappears. Also if I leave it as is, it disappears also after some time.

I set it up with IP6v config you recommended.

Also, I have a MacPro without ethernet. So cannot directly connect it

Any other potential ideas? Why did it suddenly happen? It has been working perfectly for 2 years

Aug 12, 2016 12:35 PM in response to PikScrum

Are you able to access both base stations using the Configure Other... option in the AirPort Utility? If so, then this appears to be related to the mDNS IP protocol. Resolving DNS names is one of the tasks performed by mDNSResponder. It was used since OS X Jaguar, but was replaced for Yosemite with discoveryd, and subsequently mDNSResponder was brought back with El Capitan as there were numerous issues with device discovery on the local network.

Is your MacBook Pro still running OS X Mavericks? Is the MBP the only device unable to "see" the base stations in the AirPort Utility? That is, if you use AirPort Utility on an iOS device or Windows PC, do they too have the same problem? ... or another Mac running El Capitan?

Aug 12, 2016 1:40 PM in response to Tesserax

All Mac's (2 x Mac, 2 Airbooks and Macbook run on El Captain). But this event happened out of the blue today on all wired and wireless devices (iPad and iPhone included). However, the network is okay, just tried to push a TM copy (wired, which failed). Is there a service from Apple that influences this or is some update silently pushed towards us?

Aug 13, 2016 3:39 AM in response to Tesserax

Quote:

/Quote

All done, I consider disabling Back to my Mac and if that won't work downgrading the Extreme software. I can see in my log file the issue occurred on August 11, after 21:30 CET. Because my last TM-copy is from 8/11 21:41 CET.

Time capsule not showing but WIFI connection working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.