Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a PDF from Contacts group

Hi all,

I've tried calling Apple about this and have scoured this forum and others, but no luck.

I'm trying to create an address book PDF from my groups in Contacts, showing all the details that I see on the screen.

When I have tried the normal way (Contacts > File > Export as PDF...) the resulting file is all over the place...out of alphabetical order, split into three columns with the columns containing the contact details so narrow that the email address etc is split over several lines. In other words, it is nothing like what I see on screen.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? Apple's call centre (escalated to a "senior technician") suggested I get MS Outlook and try a fix that was so cumbersome, even they thought it was not worth the effort.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 8:46 PM

Here are two possible approaches:

1. If you want one page per contact, try taking a screen shot of that contact and merging the screen shots using Preview.

2. Otherwise, consider the following steps:

• Use Contacts' menu to do View > Show Groups
  • Click on "All Contacts" on the left (to set up every contact in the file you're about to generate)
  • Do File > Print and click "Show Details" on the bottom. (The intent is to set up the appearance you want, and then use the PDF > Save as PDF at the bottom left to save the PDF file).
  • Change "Style", "Attributes", and possibly orientation (portrait or landscape) to capture the information and appearance you prefer.
  • Click "PDF > Save as PDF" at the lower left.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2016 8:46 PM in response to AndrewD

Here are two possible approaches:

1. If you want one page per contact, try taking a screen shot of that contact and merging the screen shots using Preview.

2. Otherwise, consider the following steps:

• Use Contacts' menu to do View > Show Groups
  • Click on "All Contacts" on the left (to set up every contact in the file you're about to generate)
  • Do File > Print and click "Show Details" on the bottom. (The intent is to set up the appearance you want, and then use the PDF > Save as PDF at the bottom left to save the PDF file).
  • Change "Style", "Attributes", and possibly orientation (portrait or landscape) to capture the information and appearance you prefer.
  • Click "PDF > Save as PDF" at the lower left.

Aug 12, 2016 11:25 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried #2, but it returns the same results as I got before, i.e the order of the entries is all over the place and the column containing the details is so narrow that they are spread over several lines.

I'll create it manually in Word – cumbersome but it works.

Thanks for trying!

Creating a PDF from Contacts group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.