Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing problem on iTunes

I have been having problems syncing with iTunes. The message "Your iPhone cannot be synced. An unknown error has occurred(-54)". I have tried out the solution recommended by apple, but it is to no avail. Even though I can copy songs onto iTunes and appear onto my iPhone, but the artist name remained as "unknown artist".

Btw, I am using iTunes on Windows 10 and my iPhone 6 is updated to the latest version.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2016 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2016 11:30 PM

Hi,

Update your iTunes to latest version.

Upgrade iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to latest iOS operating system.

Authorize computer in iTunes by Open iTunes > Choose "Store" on iTunes menu and authorize your computer.

Change permissions of your "iTunes" folder or original files/folder.

"Read Only" permission of "iTunes folder" to fix iTunes sync error (-54) on Window 10:Open Windows Explorer > Go to "Music" folder > Right Click "iTunes" folder > Properties > Uncheck "Read Only".

• Run iTunes in administrative mode.
  • Sign in to Windows as an administrator > Right click iTunes icon > Select "Properties" > Select "Compatibility" > Check to run as administrator.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2016 11:30 PM in response to catherinecjq

Hi,

Update your iTunes to latest version.

Upgrade iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to latest iOS operating system.

Authorize computer in iTunes by Open iTunes > Choose "Store" on iTunes menu and authorize your computer.

Change permissions of your "iTunes" folder or original files/folder.

"Read Only" permission of "iTunes folder" to fix iTunes sync error (-54) on Window 10:Open Windows Explorer > Go to "Music" folder > Right Click "iTunes" folder > Properties > Uncheck "Read Only".

• Run iTunes in administrative mode.
  • Sign in to Windows as an administrator > Right click iTunes icon > Select "Properties" > Select "Compatibility" > Check to run as administrator.

Syncing problem on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.