Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photos windows mov files

hello,

no issues with my Iphone6 and Sync the photos to my Icloud Photos running on Windows.

All the photos are there...but I also see a *.mov file along with the photo..Why is that...? Since the photo is a pure jpeg why during the sync or upload I also get a *.mov file of the same photo...?

thanks in advance

iPhone 6s, null

Posted on Aug 13, 2016 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2016 11:42 PM

Hi magellan99_98,

I understand you have some questions about the files that you see when you import your photos. I know it's important to have an understanding of your files, so I'm happy to provide some information to help clarify.

Check out this article which gives a short explanation of Live Photos on a computer:

OS X El Capitan: Live Photo

With some models of iPhone, you can shoot Live Photos, which include a still image and a short video clip just before and after the image. When you play a Live Photo, you see both the still image and the video that was captured with it. Not all apps can play Live Photos; in some cases you’ll just see a still image.

Because these photos include a short video clip before and after the image, you may see a .mov file associated with some images.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2016 11:42 PM in response to magellan99_98

Hi magellan99_98,

I understand you have some questions about the files that you see when you import your photos. I know it's important to have an understanding of your files, so I'm happy to provide some information to help clarify.

Check out this article which gives a short explanation of Live Photos on a computer:

OS X El Capitan: Live Photo

With some models of iPhone, you can shoot Live Photos, which include a still image and a short video clip just before and after the image. When you play a Live Photo, you see both the still image and the video that was captured with it. Not all apps can play Live Photos; in some cases you’ll just see a still image.

Because these photos include a short video clip before and after the image, you may see a .mov file associated with some images.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, cheers!

Aug 15, 2016 11:48 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hello

thx for your prompt reply...

Again, I have a Windows Desktop PC, with an Iphone 6s...

Is there any way on the 6s to turn off these Live Photos ( *.mov files) ... These are consuming unnecessary file storage and offer no value on my Windows PC. The iCloud app that I'm using can see these Live photos. Is there not a simply way to turn off Live Photos...?

best

magellan99_98

Aug 16, 2016 8:55 AM in response to magellan99_98

Hi magellan99_98,

I can certainly understand having control over your devices and being able to turn off a feature like this when you want to. Check out this article that goes into some detail about taking photos on your iPhone:

Take and edit photos with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Live photos: With your iPhone 6s,1 you can capture life as it happens—in movement and sound. Live Photos is on by default, tap User uploaded file to turn it off.

You'll find that this is in the top middle of the camera display, as seen here:

User uploaded file

Cheers!

icloud photos windows mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.