Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device Not Found, but internet working

I have a Airport extreme with a 2TB time capsule that I use as a file dump.

All of the sudden I cannot connect to the airport time capsule. When I initiate airport utility, there is an orange exclamation point/triangle that has the description "device not found". The router is clearly working, since I am connected to the internet (as we speak).

I tried to unplug the device and the time capsule comes back for about 2-3 minutes before the same problem occurs again. Soft and hard factory resets produce the same results. I know it is not my macbook pro, because it does the same thing on my phone as well.

Posted on Aug 13, 2016 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2016 1:13 AM

Do you have Back to My Mac configured on the TC with your AppleID?

This happened to me and when I removed my AppleID and disabled Back to My Mac it stopped happening and the TC became visible again.

Hopefully Apple will fix this soon but it would pay to log a support call with Apple about it as well.

31 replies

Aug 14, 2016 6:17 AM in response to Jamie MBP15retina

This is happening to me.

I have a TC and AE. Both show missing yet both are providing Internet via WiFi.
I see that my last Time Machine backup was 8/9.

Both devices have green lights on the actual hardware.

In Airport Utility both show missing.

I rebooted both. For a time they showed up, in fact it showed a firmware update available and I was able to update them.
But eventually both went back to showing as missing with yellow exclamation points.

This happens on my two Macs on El Capitan and on a MBA on the beta for macOS.

Hopefully they will find this bug and fix it.

Aug 14, 2016 7:35 AM in response to Jamie MBP15retina

-There device does have a green light on.

-I performed a complete factory reset last night without configuring 'back to my mac' and the device seems to be found if I leave airport utility running.

-Some times the device is still lost, but if I turn my WiFi off and back on it is found again.

This is a very annoying issue that must be software related...Hope Apple does something about it.

Aug 14, 2016 7:52 AM in response to NuckChorris

I'm sorry to hear that. In my case it worked. I started with the main router (AE) and did the TM afterwards. The reason why the Expres never greyed out was because BTTM was not set in that one. I hope Apple comes with a solution for us all, it is obvious the root-cause is somewhere in BTTM/iCloud.

Just for the record my setup, maybe it is helpful. User uploaded file

Aug 14, 2016 10:53 AM in response to Jamie MBP15retina

I'm experiencing the same, if not an identical problem. I discovered it yesterday when I went to print a document using the printer that is connected to the Airport via a USB printer cable. Executing a print command got me a, "printer is not connected" message from the HP printer. All cable were connected and the Aiport light glowed steadily green. Internet service was fine. Calling up the Aiport icon said that the Internet was fine but the router had not power. I unplugged and again plugged in the Airport and everything seemed fine-- for a few minutes. Trying a different power outlet had the same results-- normal briefly and then no power on the router. I suspect that this is a hardware problem in the router but I'd like to know that for sure.

Aug 14, 2016 3:17 PM in response to jroutledge28

I unplugged and again plugged in the Airport and everything seemed fine-- for a few minutes. Trying a different power outlet had the same results-- normal briefly and then no power on the router. I suspect that this is a hardware problem in the router but I'd like to know that for sure.

If you are saying that the indicator light on the Airport is going out, and is not lit up at all, then this is an internal power supply issue inside the AirPort. Unfortunately, not much that you can do about that other than replace the AirPort.

The AirPort is covered for one year, but if you have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs....and...the AirPort is less than three years old, it is normally covered by the Applecare umbrella. Contact Apple support to get the replacement process going.

Device Not Found, but internet working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.