Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeCapsule loses network connection

I have a TimeCapsule (new tower version 2014) and I noticed my Backups weren't taking place each hour. Utility app showed "device not found" on network. I restarted time capsule - it connects to network successfully for about 3 minutes then again "Device Not Found." I restarted my TimeWarner cable modem then restarted TC same issue. My wifi router is the TimeWarner modem and i have 60MB speed which I'm guaranteed up to 50MB so all is going well on the internet side.

I did a soft reset...same issue. I did a hard reset and used previous settings - same issue (3 minutes on network, then back to Device not Found moments later). I guess I can do a Network Default but since absolutely no changes to network settings have been done in probably months (i.e., 7+ months) I don't see why this would occur. I do not want to risk losing my entire backup(s) either...I have no other way to backup my December 2015 MBP. ** Funny thing is, for those 3 minutes the TC is showing on network, if I hit "back up now" it finds TC but TC then goes off network; however, the backup actually occurs successfully. But will not backup again until I restart so the TC is on the network for those 2-3 minutes before losing connection. Help.

I have MBP mid-2015 15" and El Capital v10.11.6. My TC etc. are all up to date on software versions too!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 14, 2016 10:52 AM

12 replies

Aug 14, 2016 11:11 AM in response to DLH2

Lots of users have posted to the forum with the same "Device Not Found" issue in the last few days. Seems like almost every new post is on this subject. Here is one from a few minutes ago, for example:

Rumor has it that the recent 10.11.6 update is part or all of the problem, depending on opinion.

The "fix" du jour is to disable Back to My Mac in AirPort Utility, which seems to work for users who have enabled Back to My Mac. Of course, you lose the feature when you do this.

No fix yet for users who are not using Back to My Mac, since they can't disable something that they have not enabled.

Apple is silent, so not much that we can do until Apple acknowledges that there is an issue ( which they don't as of yesterday when I spoke to them).

Stay tuned.

Aug 14, 2016 11:42 AM in response to DLH2

Do you remember enabling Back to My Mac? If not, you probably have not done this.

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Base Station tab at the top of the window

Back to My Mac settings are here

User uploaded file

If BtMM is enabled......you will see your Apple ID listed here......click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to disable things, then click Update at the lower right of the window to save the new settings.

Aug 14, 2016 12:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello again...so, it seems with everything change/fix something else occurs. Now, it appears that I am unable to use apple AirPlay with my iTunes and Home Sharing. Can this be due to disconnecting B2MM from my TimeCapsule? I do still have B2MM on my Airport Express (which is required for AirPlay) but now nothing works.

Also, I typically use apple's "remote" to control my speakers, playback music, etc . on my Homesharing network - but now it can't find it - even after resetting home sharing, etc. Says Cannot find my Library. In short...is this tied to B2MM?

Aug 14, 2016 1:38 PM in response to DLH2

Based on some quick tests here of enabling/disabling BtMM, AirPlay and Home Sharing are not affected at all when run the checks.

Probably best to start a new post to get more views, since you have a different kind of issue than your original post described.

Before you do that though, perform a complete power cycle on your network. That would mean......

Powering off every device....modem. routers, computers, mobile devices, accessories, etc.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Power up the modem first, and let it run by itself for 2-3 minutes

Start up the next device connected to the modem and let it run for a full minute

Keep starting up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Check the network

Aug 14, 2016 1:48 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello Bob,

i have same problem since 9th August - from then no back-ups made to TimeCapsule.

But Network is OK - WiFi in function for all devices (MacAir, Mac, Ipads, iphones, appleTv).

Also no BackToMyMac enabled - i can't "disable" it and try to solve the problem.

An Mac or MacAir don`t see TimeCapsule in the network... AirportUtility also don't find...

I hope Apple will soon find solution to fix it.

Should i try to make "full power off" and start it again as you write previously?

J

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.