You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to select audio language in Quicktime.

as title, I have couple of movie which have 2 audio language when I play it on Quicktime it mix up 2 audio together.

may I know how/ can I select the main audio language?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Aug 14, 2016 5:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2016 5:19 PM

Hi Naught Jack,

I understand that you are not able to select which audio track is playing for your Quicktime movies. I know it's important to understand the language in your videos, so I'm happy to provide some clarification for this.

When watching a video in Quicktime, use the menu bar to select View > Languages. From here, you can select which audio track you'd like to use.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, cheers!

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2016 5:19 PM in response to Naught Jack

Hi Naught Jack,

I understand that you are not able to select which audio track is playing for your Quicktime movies. I know it's important to understand the language in your videos, so I'm happy to provide some clarification for this.

When watching a video in Quicktime, use the menu bar to select View > Languages. From here, you can select which audio track you'd like to use.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, cheers!

Aug 15, 2016 6:11 PM in response to Naught Jack

as title, I have couple of movie which have 2 audio language when I play it on Quicktime it mix up 2 audio together.

may I know how/ can I select the main audio language?

A further clarification...

It sounds as if the properties for your file are improperly set up. Basically, QT structures (both QT X and QT 7) have the ability to play up to 99 tracks of data simultaneously. In your case, it appears that both language tracks are "enabled" for playback simultaneously as depicted below:

User uploaded file

To play correctly, only one language audio track can be enabled at any given time and each audio language track must be set for "alternative" language track playback for the "Languages" menu option to be able to "switch" between audio tracks as seen below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

With multiple audio tracks simultaneously selected, the "Languages" menu option is effectively turned off. Deselecting all but one audio track and setting the "alternative" language switches will allow the player to work correctly in that when an alternative language is selected by the user, the player first shuts off the currently playing language track and then turns on the newly selected language track.

Depending on your workflow and/or software available, you should probably either recreate the file or manually correct the property settings. (Or, if you prefer, you can provide a copy of the file and I can correct the settings.)

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2016 7:59 AM in response to Naught Jack

HI, may I know how to show the files properties as you do?

I only able found the "get info" and "movie inspector"

I used the QT 7 "Pro" classic player app to display and modify the properties. Unfortunately, the QT 7 structure is being phased out to be replaced by the more modern QT X structures embedded in current versions of Mac OS X. Since Apple has already stopped selling the "Pro" license to access "Pro" features, I suspect that Apple is positioning itself to drop support for QT 7 altogether—possibly with the release of macOS ("Sierra") this fall or sometime shortly thereafter. In any event, my old license is still QT 7 operational under "El Capitan" and can still manually access most/many of the QT track/layer property/compositing features to include enabling/disabling of audio tracks, language designations, and alternative language track switch settings. Have not tried it, but Subler may (or may not) work here. It can also enable and disable individual tracks and set language designations but the use of alternative track settings is different and, as yet, untested by me.

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2016 11:21 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

One would think that any robust 3rd party app could control any or all aspects of QT playback...

Other than QT 7 Pro, can you provide the names of a few example apps to look into at this time?

just an example from my tool of choice before 'got tired' and REtired

Adobe Director * Controlling QuickTime with Lingo or JavaScript syntax

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Director/11.5/UsingScripting/WScf09ce35f85d76b45ca2f 0c011d5585481f-7fdb.html

Am somewhat confused by your suggestion. Are you recommending the OP for this topic script his own independent GUI utility or are you saying Adobe Director can directly address/modify the required property values already stored in saved video files?

UPDATE:

Also looked into the use of Atom Inspector and Dumpster as a means of modifying properties in stored videos. Unfortunately, I was not able to locate the appropriate parameters that need to be modified nor discover the values required for insertion based on this short examination of test files.

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2016 11:47 AM in response to Jon Walker

One would think that any robust 3rd party app could control any or all aspects of QT playback...

Other than QT 7 Pro, can you provide the names of a few example apps to look into at this time?

Nope. I have not looked into anything like this in many years (read on)

just an example from my tool of choice before 'got tired' and REtired

Adobe Director * Controlling QuickTime with Lingo or JavaScript syntax

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Director/11.5/UsingScripting/WScf09ce35f85d76b45ca2f 0c011d5585481f-7fdb.html

Am somewhat confused by your suggestion. Are you recommending the OP for this topic script his own independent GUI utility or are you saying Adobe Director can directly address/modify the required property values already stored in saved video files?

(continuing)

No.

What I am saying is in reference to your suggestion of an alternate app - these apps are doing what Director is doing with scripts, but with a GUI front end = addressing the parameters in deepest, darkest QuickTime. QT 7 Pro is an example of the GUI to the "basement"

... Have not tried it, but Subler may (or may not) work here. It can also enable and disable individual tracks and set language designations but the use of alternative track settings is different and, as yet, untested by me. ...

Director is MUCH to expensive and HIGH learning curve for use by most.

It is dealing with PLAYBACK of a QT movie that is "external" to the Director file that invokes the property customization at runtime.

From my use in the past... it can control "very fine" aspects of playback like "speed" and rotation. It can also "mask" a movie with full color image - like inside of a wooden ship looking out of a porthole instead of merely a "round" movie floating on the screen. The linked page is the tip of the iceberg.

Adobe Director * Using Digital Video

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Director/11.5/UsingScripting/WScf09ce35f85d76b4-4fdb 6b3c11d55855946-7f0d.html

Director was used for years for Steve Jobs 'big screen' speaker support at the "Big Shows". Macromedia and Apple were bosom buddies. I even was "loaned" top-of-the-line desktop Macs so I could play Director shows at events (Store Managers had even wider discretion than they do today back then)

Director is a "show biz" app - as well as "custom software" app - I used it corporate clients' specialized needs - shows or 'sales force' presentation

It excels at "animation" of objects (cast members are 'offstage' and sprites are 'onstage' being manipulated)

Aug 16, 2016 12:38 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

QT 7 Pro is an example of the GUI to the "basement"

Exactly. In addition, it was cheap to purchase and simple to use which is what I assumed the OP was looking for here. My interest is based on the expected demise of QT 7 Pro and a desire to locate a replacement app having similar capabilities to quickly change file property values so the content can continue to be played normally in various QT media players. That is, I'm not looking for a way to produce creative edits or special effects.

The linked page is the tip of the iceberg.

Only took a quick look. Found how to read, enable, and disable a track but did not see how to set language ID or set language switches for QT X/7 player app menu option use. As you indicated, this is way "over the top" for what I suspect most users are looking for here based on the OP question.

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2016 1:09 PM in response to Jon Walker

Indeed. I hope you are right (for your and others sake, I am tiredREtired) that Sierra level QT will have Pro controls. In my "fly on the wall" observations in this forum, it seemed to me that QT (with X/10) had been relegated to "consumer" level status - I imagine Pro editors are wondering too.

In my experience, if the parameter (property) exists, it can be controlled in Director. But yes, it is the price and complexity of a laser surgery contraption in medicine when what you want is a scalpel.

As aside... I was so deep into Director that I concluded that Director the "app" was created WITH Director the app. It is all about databases. Cast is the actors. The "Stage" is a frame based timeline of data - it "looks" like a spreadsheet... rows are backmost at the top and theoretically 1000s of layers and columns are frames over time at a speed the creator chooses.

If I were to have a QT movie as a Sprite that was the "lead actor", I would likely "stop" the timeline on a particular frame (it really wouldn't be "stopped", but rather be looping within the same frame to give the user control)

In theory, one could actually 'develop' the app for distribution that you folks need to replace QT 7 Pro, but, wearing my consultant hat, I would advise a "wait & see" posture to see what Sierra brings before "**** the torpedoes", let's get to it!

(in my considered opinion, based on the evidence we can easily observe, I believe that Apple's strategy is to have iMovie & FCP be the 'editors' and have users merely "make choices" at runtime - if it ain't authored it ain't available. It is clear that there are at least 3 levels of editing already addressed by Apple offerings)

{notice how carefully worded the parenthetic is?} 😉

how to select audio language in Quicktime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.