Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you add an apple store gift card to wallet

I received both electronic and hard copy gift cards from the Apple Store. I was easily able to put the electronic ones in the Wallet, but cannot figure out how to do the same with the hard copy ones. Any suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 14, 2016 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:05 PM

Here is how I got an Apple Gift card to be added to Apple Wallet:

1. Open the Wallet App
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, below all your cards in the app
  3. Press "Edit Passes" button
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and press the "Scan Code" button
  5. That takes you to the camera
  6. Take a picture of the QR code on the Apple Gift Card
  7. This then pops up a banner notification at the top of the screeen that says "Open 'apple.com' in Safari" - Click on that banner
  8. That automatically takes you to a picture of a gray Apple Store card with the balance that was on your gift card - Click on the blue "Add" link at the top right of the page
  9. Viola, the Apple Gift Card is now in Wallet
33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 8:05 PM in response to Fran G

Here is how I got an Apple Gift card to be added to Apple Wallet:

1. Open the Wallet App
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, below all your cards in the app
  3. Press "Edit Passes" button
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and press the "Scan Code" button
  5. That takes you to the camera
  6. Take a picture of the QR code on the Apple Gift Card
  7. This then pops up a banner notification at the top of the screeen that says "Open 'apple.com' in Safari" - Click on that banner
  8. That automatically takes you to a picture of a gray Apple Store card with the balance that was on your gift card - Click on the blue "Add" link at the top right of the page
  9. Viola, the Apple Gift Card is now in Wallet

Nov 7, 2017 12:56 PM in response to Fran G

Here's how I got it to work for me today:

1. Go to Wallet app
  2. Swipe up from the bottom to reveal "Edit Passes" and tap it
  3. Select "Scan Code"
  4. Focus on the QR code in the top left corner on the back of the gift card -- remove the silver peel off film first
  5. Wait for a notification to drop down from the top of the screen giving an option to open in Safari -- tap it
  6. Safari opens with an image of the gift card and shows the amount
  7. "Add" appears in the top right corner to add the card to Apple Wallet

I'll also mention that I tried this a bunch of times and I'd get the message to open Safari but it would just go to the Apple.com web site with no information about the gift card. Then, on a whim, I turned the phone off then back on and tried it and it worked. The world works in mysterious ways. . .

(iPhone 7 with the iOS 11.2 Public beta 2)

Nov 17, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Fran G

Unfortunately, trying to add a physical Apple Store Gift Card into the Apple Wallet by simply scanning the card does not work. The issue here seems to be the way the wallet app scans the QR code which results in a message "this card is not eligible for Apple Pay". So what I did was use another 3rd party camera app (ProCamera) and scanned the QR code using their in-built QR functionality. It worked like a charm. The app scans the QR code and I select the option to "open URL" and it does just that in the Apple Wallet.

Aug 15, 2016 1:24 PM in response to Fran G

Unfortunately that did not work as the scanned code came up with the message "No Pass Available for This Code," on two different Apple Store Gift cards.

I quit the Wallet app and even turned the phone off and then on to see this would have any effect to no avail.

I just realized that perhaps this could be an IOS 10 beta issue. IOS 10 beta 5 was just delivered, so I will install that and try again. If is does not work, I will look for another pass card to see if it can be added to Wallet. I will come back and provide the results whether positive or negative.

Thank you!

Jun 12, 2017 4:48 PM in response to Fran G

Wallet app will not scan the QR Code / Doesn't recognize the code. About every other card I have received this happens. Is there another way to add to wallet besides scanning the QR code as the Wallet is not recognizing the QR Code. I hope that is clear so I don't get a reply of scan the QR code with wallet app. Been there. Done that. Thank you.

Apr 3, 2018 11:56 AM in response to Fran G

WOO HOO!!!

I was able to figure this out

1 download QR Reader for iPhone by tap media ltd

2 take picture of gift card QR on another device as long as it’s a clear QR picture -

(the QR app doesn’t read gift card small QR code very well)

3 zoom in on QR code in picture

4 scan QR

5 gift card will load in safari and automatically added to walletUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 27, 2018 7:56 AM in response to Fran G

Hi I have been having a lot of trouble adding my Apple gift card to the Apple wallet. I have read a number of posts which explain how to do it but still it doesn’t read the QR picture in the upper left-hand corner of the back of the card.

Solution: For those of you who do not know, I just realized you have to literally peel off the plastic on the back of the card that covers the QR code and the letters. Once you do that the scanner will actually be able to scan the QR code.

Aug 15, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Fran G

Hi Fran G,

I understand that you want to add a physical Apple Store gift card to your Wallet. I know it's nice to have this ready on the go, so I'm happy to provide some clarification for this process.

To use an Apple Store gift card with Apple Wallet, check out the response here by Adobephile: Can I enter an apple gift card (physical one) into passbook?

1. Peel off the seal on the back of the Apple Store Gift Card to reveal a QR code alongside a letter code, similar to what you would see on an iTunes Gift card.
  2. Open the Wallet app and tap to add a new Pass.
  3. Choose to Scan Code to add the pass
  4. Scan the QR code you revealed on the gift card

Enjoy your gift card, and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Aug 17, 2016 10:14 PM in response to Fran G

Unfortunately that did not work as the scanned code came up with the message "No Pass Available for This Code," on two different Apple Store Gift cards.

I quit the Wallet app and even turned the phone off and then on to see this would have any effect to no avail.

I just realized that perhaps this could be an IOS 10 beta issue. IOS 10 beta 5 was just delivered, so I will install that and try again. If is does not work, I will look for another pass card to see if it can be added to Wallet. I will come back and provide the results whether positive or negative.

Thank you!

how do you add an apple store gift card to wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.