Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook: An Error occurred during activation. Try again

HI, I use MBP and this problem has been persisting for over 5 months now.

I am on El Capitan version 10.11.6. I get the message " An error occurred during activaton, Try again" when i try to Sign In.

My Internet speeds are ok, Password account ok. Already logged into iCloud and App Store with same password. Imessage + Facetime, I am not able to login.

Please help. Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 15, 2016 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 11:27 PM

FOUND IT. You need to turn off automatic time updates and turn them back on. Why? Who on earth knows... If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support

15 replies

Apr 8, 2017 1:11 AM in response to sberman

I have the same problem on a Macbook Pro where imessages worked before. iCloud Preferences told me that my security had been compromised (no other explanation like location of suspicious logins or devices etc.) and that I had to change my iCloud password. That's when the problems started. I've sorted out all the other problems with my devices logging into iCloud services. But not FaceTime and Messages on the MBP.

I've followed the steps in the second link (except for waiting 24 hours). I've also tried logging out of iCloud in System Prefs and back in.

Then I tried generating an app-specific password as per the first link (that page by the way advises that this is for apps and services not provided by Apple) that didn't work either. So I turned off two-factor authentication. It still doesn't work!

Next step I'm investigating uninstalling Messages and reinstalling - unlikely to work if other Apple apps are anything to go by. Will repost here when the problem's solved, but meantime if anyone has anything that's worked when the above steps have failed, I'd appreciate your tips.

May 10, 2017 11:49 PM in response to MK_SPACE

My FaceTime and iMessage wasn't working on MacBook air since 1.5 years. I had tried everything on the forums and today by chance I tried something just for the heck of it and it worked! I used a program called Appcleaner to delete all my FaceTime data. I opened the Appcleaner program, clicked on applications tab, searched for FaceTime. It pulled up a bunch of files related to FaceTime. I deleted all these FaceTime files and voila! FaceTime and iMessage started working perfectly. I can't tell the logic behind this but it worked for me. It is worth a try!

Aug 15, 2016 1:16 PM in response to MK_SPACE

Do you use two-step verification or two-factor authentication? If so, you will need app-specific passwords for FaceTime and Messages.

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

If not, see this article. It is written for iOS, but if you translate the suggestions into similar ones for OS X, it should solve your issue.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2016 11:46 AM in response to MK_SPACE

Apple Experts: Please help with more ideas on how to fix this problem.

iMessage + Facetime not able to login on Macbook Pro (El-Capitan - ver. 10.11.6)

Error: Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again.

Macbook Safe Mode: I am able to login very well to iMessage + Facebook

iPhone 6: Able to Log into iMessage and Facetime very well.

Macbook Pro Normal Mode: CANT LOGIN TO IMESSAGE AND FACETIME

Macbook: An Error occurred during activation. Try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.