Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update iPhone through iTunes without backup?

Hi,

I keep getting an error when trying to update my iPhone 6 to 9.3.4 over-air, and after research tried to update it using iTunes on my Mac. However, every time I try to update, iTunes forces me to back up my phone first. I do not have enough space on my Mac to backup my phone, so an error pops up and the update stops. I do not want to back up my phone, but I do want to update my phone. Does anyone know how to update your phone through iTunes without being forced to back it up first? Thanks.

PS Over-air, the update downloads but cannot install. I have tried using a different wifi network, redownloading the update, refreshing my phone, updating at full charge. I've heard that the error can occur when there are a lot of people updating at once, but I've been having the error for a few hours now. I contact Apple support and they did not have a solution to the over-air issue.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Aug 16, 2016 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 7:16 AM

Hi I have kinda the same problem. But, i do not see why, maybe it has the same solution.

I have an iPhone 6S, 128Gb, according to iTunes, it has 57.36Gb free, (so 46.28 used?). I have a Macbook Pro, Sierra 10.12.1, 256GB SSD, with (according to About my Mac/Storage) 91Gb available. I am trying to update from iOS 10.1.1 to 10.2. My backups are set to automatically backup to iCloud, the latest backup being 1:16am this morning. When i connect my phone and click Update, it extracts the software, then starts to Backup my phone, subsequently producing an error telling me there is not enough space on my computer and to delete things. Clicking ok then stops the update process. I also tried clicking the 'x' when it was backing up, also stops the Update process. So, my questions...

1) Why is it forcing me to backup my phone to my computer, when i already backup automatically to iCloud (have 200gb storage on iCloud) AND it was backed up 9 hours ago.

2) Why am i being told i have no room, when my phone has 46gb of used space and my MacBook apparently has 91Gb available.

3) Why can't I / How can i skip the backup and still update my phone.

Cheers in advance.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2016 7:16 AM in response to Chris CA

Hi I have kinda the same problem. But, i do not see why, maybe it has the same solution.

I have an iPhone 6S, 128Gb, according to iTunes, it has 57.36Gb free, (so 46.28 used?). I have a Macbook Pro, Sierra 10.12.1, 256GB SSD, with (according to About my Mac/Storage) 91Gb available. I am trying to update from iOS 10.1.1 to 10.2. My backups are set to automatically backup to iCloud, the latest backup being 1:16am this morning. When i connect my phone and click Update, it extracts the software, then starts to Backup my phone, subsequently producing an error telling me there is not enough space on my computer and to delete things. Clicking ok then stops the update process. I also tried clicking the 'x' when it was backing up, also stops the Update process. So, my questions...

1) Why is it forcing me to backup my phone to my computer, when i already backup automatically to iCloud (have 200gb storage on iCloud) AND it was backed up 9 hours ago.

2) Why am i being told i have no room, when my phone has 46gb of used space and my MacBook apparently has 91Gb available.

3) Why can't I / How can i skip the backup and still update my phone.

Cheers in advance.

Sep 26, 2017 6:18 PM in response to MexicoMatt

I had this exact problem and I finally found a solution that worked for me. Just to confirm for others, If iTunes does not let you update your phone without backing it up first and it gives you the error that you do not have enough storage on your computer (whether you select iTunes or iCloud options in iTunes), try the following:

Turn on Activation-only Mode in iTunes - Apple Support

Dec 4, 2017 11:56 AM in response to IgnacioP

Try below found it from http://klauskjeldsen.dk/iphone-3g-disable-slow-itunes-backup-mac-and-windows/:

mac users:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Open a Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  3. Type or copy the following command:defaults write com.apple.iTunes AutomaticDeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Connect the iPhone.
  6. Make Sync without backing up.

To enable automatic backup in iTunes again use this command instead:defaults write com.apple.iTunes AutomaticDeviceBackupsDisabled -bool false
Note: If you previously have used the command line option that entirely disables the backup feature, then type this command as well to enable to backup process:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool falseRecommendation: If you choose to disable the automatic backup process, it would be a good idea to manually making a backup it once a while to get a safe copy of text messages, call log and like (just right-click your iPhone icon in iTunes).

windows users: (updated)

Windows users can use the same approach:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Press Win+R (opens the Windows Run dialog)
  3. Type or copy the following command:“%CommonProgramFiles%\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\defaults.exe” write com.apple.iTunes AutomaticDeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Connect the iPhone.
  6. Make Sync without backing up.

Aug 17, 2016 1:15 PM in response to Onnaderuion

If you do not want to back up your phone first, you are living VERY dangerously. However, its your phone, so try this:

Get help with over-the-air iOS updates - Apple Support

Have you tried:

Remove and download the iOS update again

If you still can't install the latest version of iOS, try downloading the update again:

1. Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage. Under Storage tap Manage Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Aug 16, 2016 9:38 PM in response to Onnaderuion

Onnaderuion wrote:

Hi,

I keep getting an error when trying to update my iPhone 6 to 9.3.4 over-air, and after research tried to update it using iTunes on my Mac. However, every time I try to update, iTunes forces me to back up my phone first. I do not have enough space on my Mac to backup my phone, so an error pops up and the update stops. I do not want to back up my phone, but I do want to update my phone.

So with not enough room on your Mac to even back up your iPhone, when your Mac crashes (and it will), you will lose everything on your Mac in addition to all data on the iPhone.

You should keep a minimum of 10% free space on your computer.

Also, you should regularly back up your iPhone.

Aug 17, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Onnaderuion

My guess is if you do not have enough free storage space on your Mac to backup, you almost certainly do not have enough space to download the update, uncompressed it and run it. Your problem is your Mac has far too little free disk space.

Similarly on your iPhone, if the update downloads but cannot run, you are likely too short of free space on the phone itself.

Update iPhone through iTunes without backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.